Saudi security forces trained specially for the annual hajj have been deployed to the kingdom's holy sites as some 1.8 million pilgrims converged on Mecca for the pilgrimage which started yesterday.
Security men "who have been trained and deployed in previous hajj seasons, in addition to those trained this year, will do the job," Interior Minister Prince Nayef bin Abdul Aziz said during a visit to Mecca.
PHOTO: AP
Pictures of parading armed security men, armored vehicles, helicopters, fire brigades and ambulances were spread across local newspapers following the minister's inspection tour on Saturday of security procedures for the largest annual Muslim gathering.
Saudi Arabia has been battling a wave of violence by al-Qaeda-linked militants who have carried out a spate of attacks that have left more than 100 people dead, including many foreigners, since May 2003.
Nayef said security forces remained alert to combat terrorists across the kingdom, adding that "events speak for themselves," in reference to recent efforts by security authorities in combating Islamist militants.
Four wanted militants were killed on Jan. 9 in a shootout with security forces in a desert area, while 10 others, including two of the kingdom's most wanted men, were killed last month in two days of clashes in Riyadh.
The incidents occurred before and after two car bombings against security targets in Riyadh on Dec. 29, including the interior ministry itself.
"If something happens, or if there is an intention [to carry out terrorist attacks], it will be fought with conviction and all [our] strength," Nayef said.
An interior ministry spokesman earlier said that more than 50,000 security men had been deployed for the hajj season.
"More than 50,000 security men are taking part in the plan to secure the hajj," Brigadier Mansur al-Turki said, adding that 70 to 80 percent of their task is "primarily concerned with traffic control and ensuring the safety of pilgrims."
More than 10,000 officers are "to deal with any developments related to security matters," he said.
"We have dealt with terrorist attacks in the holy city of Mecca before" out of the hajj season, Turki said. "We only increase manpower during the hajj season to cope with the increase in the numbers of pilgrims."
The desert kingdom, home to two of Islam's holiest sites, Mecca and Medina, last year received 1.4 million foreign pilgrims, in addition to some 473,000 from within the country.
Last year's hajj saw 251 pilgrims trampled or suffocated to death during a stampede as they vied to stone three pillars representing the devil in Mina, near Mecca.
All Muslims are required to make the pilgrimage to Mecca, one of the five pillars of Islam, at least once in their lifetime if they have the means to do so.
For days pilgrims have been flooding into the birthplace of Mohammed to take part in the annual rituals, which will climax today on Mount Arafat. Eid al-Adha, the Feast of the Sacrifice, will start tomorrow.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but
JOINT EFFORTS: The three countries have been strengthening an alliance and pressing efforts to bolster deterrence against Beijing’s assertiveness in the South China Sea The US, Japan and the Philippines on Friday staged joint naval drills to boost crisis readiness off a disputed South China Sea shoal as a Chinese military ship kept watch from a distance. The Chinese frigate attempted to get closer to the waters, where the warships and aircraft from the three allied countries were undertaking maneuvers off the Scarborough Shoal — also known as Huangyan Island (黃岩島) and claimed by Taiwan and China — in an unsettling moment but it was warned by a Philippine frigate by radio and kept away. “There was a time when they attempted to maneuver