Rescuers found 345 more bodies on the tsunami-hit Andamans as India's military continued yesterday to evacuate entire islands which have been declared unfit for human inhabitation.
The official death toll on the Indian islands now stands at 1,837, but with more than 5,600 still listed as missing a minister warned yesterday that the grieving was not over.
"Even today some bodies were found," said India's Tribal Affairs Minister P.R. Kyndiah, who is conducting an in-depth assessment of the massive destruction on the tropical archipelago.
"But it is difficult to declare the thousands who are missing as dead because miracles still do happen."
Scheduled events and local celebrations have been cancelled on the Andaman and Nicobar islands since the tsunami struck on Dec. 26.
The number of those officially declared missing also went up by 83 to 5,625, an official government spokesman said in the capital Port Blair.
Some 4,400 of the missing disappeared on Katchal island, close to the epicenter of the Dec. 26 undersea earthquake off nearby Indonesia.
Survivors sheltering in tsunami relief camps are leaving for mainland India. Some 1,302 people sailed out overnight from Port Blair for Calcutta or Madras to escape the hardships, officials said.
"People are also returning to their homes [on the islands] to rebuild their lives and as of today we have 35,962 affected people living in camps," said Ram Kapse, governor of the 500-plus chain of islands.
The Indian military, spearheading its largest peacetime operation, is evacuating entire islands which have been declared unfit for human inhabitation.
Andaman's chief secretary V.V. Bhat said the populations of a total of six islands in the Indian Ocean would be rehabilitated elsewhere because of the scale of devastation.
"We have evacuated the entire [surviving] population of 1,230 people from Chowra to the island of Teressa and are moving out another 422 inhabitants from islands like Pilomillo and Little Nicobar to Campbell Bay," he said.
After a tour of islands inhabited by Andaman's five ancient aboriginal groups, Kyndiah warned that a similar exercise may have to be undertaken on other islands as well.
Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh last week pledged two billion rupees (US$43.5 million) for the ravaged Andamans. Material and funds are also pouring in from across India for the archipelago where 356,000 lived before the tsunamis.
In related news, Indian authorities working to help tsunami victims yesterday rounded up reporters and demanded photographers surrender illegal pictures of protected tribal Aborigines.
Ram Kapse, the chief administrator of Andaman and Nicobar group of islands, said he was fed up with the media's intrusive obsession with tribal groups who survived the devastation with minimal loss.
"There is a complaint that some journalists have taken photographs of the Jarawa tribal people and there are others doing other things in prohibited areas," Kapse said.
"These Jarawas are not showpieces and since there is a law we are going to be very strict and anyone who has photographed them must surrender the films before leaving this island," Kapse said in the Andamanese capital Port Blair.
A 1957 Indian law prohibits photography of the Stone Age Aborigines on the isolated archipelago, which is administered directly by New Delhi. Unsupervised contact with the tribals is also banned.
Local conservationalists are up in arms over intrusions into secluded islands by journalists who converged here after the towering waves struck on Dec. 26.
"In an island inhabited by the Sentinelese, journalists were taken in a military helicopter and the Aboriginals were provoked to shoot arrows," the Society of Andaman and Nicobar Ecology (SANE) said in a complaint to Kapse.
"That makes great TV footage but reveals the insensitivity with which both the media and the military handle the Aboriginals," it said.
SANE called for a federal probe into other instances of intrusions into restricted habitats.
In other developments, Red Cross officials on the Andaman islands accused the government yesterday of "hijacking" their relief materials, as squabbles over aid continued in the archipelago.
In the weeks since the tsunami battered the Andaman and Nicobar islands, Indian and international relief agencies have complained that the territory's government doesn't appear to want them to travel to the faraway islands, where survivors say relief has come very late.
Yesterday, the Indian Red Cross Society said relief supplies it had in Port Blair, the federal territory's capital, had disappeared from the docks and were later found to have been taken by government workers.
"They hijacked our relief material. They robbed it," said Basudev Dass, joint secretary of the Indian Cross Society. "They want to take all the relief material and distribute it. We are very clear that we will go and distribute it to the real beneficiaries."
Ram Kapse, the territory's head of government and head of the Andaman Red Cross Society, declined to comment on the complaint.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but
JOINT EFFORTS: The three countries have been strengthening an alliance and pressing efforts to bolster deterrence against Beijing’s assertiveness in the South China Sea The US, Japan and the Philippines on Friday staged joint naval drills to boost crisis readiness off a disputed South China Sea shoal as a Chinese military ship kept watch from a distance. The Chinese frigate attempted to get closer to the waters, where the warships and aircraft from the three allied countries were undertaking maneuvers off the Scarborough Shoal — also known as Huangyan Island (黃岩島) and claimed by Taiwan and China — in an unsettling moment but it was warned by a Philippine frigate by radio and kept away. “There was a time when they attempted to maneuver