Indonesia's nightmare continued Thursday with a death toll surpassing 45,000 along coastlines flattened by massive destruction as panic stirred lawlessness and vital aid failed to reach the sick and hungry.
Five days after an earthquake of terrifying proportions sent towers of water crashing onto Sumatra island, rescuers reaching isolated coastlines found few survivors among floating graveyards of swollen corpses and pulverized homes.
With aid struggling to reach some areas despite generous pledges of help, desperation sparked unprecedented crime waves in the deeply Islamic region as looters ran amok unchecked by military and police tied up in the relief effort.
"There's a lot of looting of electronic goods, fowl and livestock, even motorcycles," a reporter for Elshinta radio said. "Some of the people are forced to take justice into their own hands," he said.
Further powerful aftershocks continued to rattle Aceh on Wednesday and Thursday causing further alarm, but Indonesia's Meteorology and Geophysics Office said they were not large enough to cause another tsunami.
On Aceh's northwest coast, which was cut off for several days after Sunday's disaster, the true scale of the destruction was becoming apparent in a blasted landscape of levelled buildings tangled with piles of naked and grotesque dead.
Less than three quarters of the remote west coast town of Meulaboh, believed to be in the worst-hit area just 150km from the epicenter of the magnitude 9.0 earthquake, was still standing.
Captain Bachtiar, a member of the military command in the town, said Meulaboh had been struck by seven successive tsunami onslaughts, which nearly claimed his life as his leg became trapped.
"I had already accepted my fate. My entire body was aching and I felt there was no longer any hope. But suddenly... my leg miraculously managed to loosen itself," he said. A successive wave threw him safely into a tree top.
Indonesian military deputy spokesman Colonel Ahmad Yani Basuki said military personnel had arrived in Meulaboh where hungry survivors have been scrabbling in the mud for coconuts and rice.
Basuki said aid to the town, 2,000km northwest of Jakarta, would have to be dropped by parachute because of inaccessability.. In the provincial capital Banda Aceh, the disposal of the huge numbers of dead continued even as hundreds of determined relatives hunted for their loved ones against the odds.
"I flew here from Jakarta last night to search for my family members," said Cut Zaini, wearing a facemask to protect him from the stink of rotting flesh.
Soldiers were being deployed throughout Banda Aceh yesterday to remove bodies still clogging the city's streets and rivers, with experts warning the decaying human remains could cause widespread sickness.
"Bodies decaying will provoke disease like cholera, diarrhea and typhoid if we don't act rapidly. The fact that we're dealing with salt water is another source of worry of course because you cannot drink it," said William Carre of French group Pompiers Sans Frontieres.
Carre said his organization was struggling to bring water cleansing equipment to Aceh, where despite the arrival of tonnes of foreign aid, much is failing to reach those who need it, including an estimated 100,000 homeless.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
Japan unveiled a plan on Thursday to evacuate around 120,000 residents and tourists from its southern islets near Taiwan within six days in the event of an “emergency”. The plan was put together as “the security situation surrounding our nation grows severe” and with an “emergency” in mind, the government’s crisis management office said. Exactly what that emergency might be was left unspecified in the plan but it envisages the evacuation of around 120,000 people in five Japanese islets close to Taiwan. China claims Taiwan as part of its territory and has stepped up military pressure in recent years, including
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but