Ten Indian security force personnel and a Muslim civilian were killed yesterday in the deadliest landmine explosion in months in Kashmir amid a surge in violence since the Indian premier visited the region last month.
"There has been a landmine explosion in the village of Batpora [in Pulwama district] in which at least nine Indian soldiers have died," a spokesman said.
He said the soldiers were riding in a private jeep when it ran over the mine killing all 11 people on board, including a policeman and a civilian.
"All the eleven people died instantly with a few of them being blown to pieces," a police spokesman said, adding the village has been sealed by army and paramilitary forces and searches launched to arrest the militants.
Kashmir's pro-Pakistan rebel group Hizbul Mujahedin claimed responsibility for the attack and said 12 soldiers were killed, Srinagar-based Current News Service said. The militants claimed to have snatched six AK assault rifles, three radio sets and a light machine gun from the dead soldiers.
The soldiers were returning to camp from a counter-insurgency operation late Saturday.
It was the deadliest mine explosion since May when 29 soldiers died on a highway in the northern state. Hizbul also claimed responsibility for that attack.
In a separate incident, one or more militants barricaded themselves inside a mosque in Baan village, near Kulgam township, after fleeing a search operation by troops, a police spokesman said.
A team of Indian soldiers had entered the village Saturday evening on a tipoff that militants were hiding there. Troop reinforcements have been rushed to the site and the entire village has been cordoned off.
Troops and the militants were continuing to exchange fire but so far there had been no casualties.
Violence has surged since Prime Minister Manmohan Singh visited Kashmir last month, although nuclear-armed rivals India and Pakistan began a peace process last year to resolve their dispute over the Himalayan region, which they each hold in part and both claim in full.
Indian troops have been fighting since 1989 to crush an insurrection against New Delhi's rule in the Muslim-majority region.
More than 40,000 people have died in insurgency-related violence since 1989, according to official figures. Separatists say the death toll is at least double that.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but
JOINT EFFORTS: The three countries have been strengthening an alliance and pressing efforts to bolster deterrence against Beijing’s assertiveness in the South China Sea The US, Japan and the Philippines on Friday staged joint naval drills to boost crisis readiness off a disputed South China Sea shoal as a Chinese military ship kept watch from a distance. The Chinese frigate attempted to get closer to the waters, where the warships and aircraft from the three allied countries were undertaking maneuvers off the Scarborough Shoal — also known as Huangyan Island (黃岩島) and claimed by Taiwan and China — in an unsettling moment but it was warned by a Philippine frigate by radio and kept away. “There was a time when they attempted to maneuver