The key players in international efforts to curb North Korea's nuclear ambitions are picking up the pace in what has become a protracted ritual of talking about talks and discussing how to entice the North's recalcitrant government back into negotiations.
But the communist North dug in yesterday, saying its UN diplomats met US officials in New York on Tuesday and again on Friday, but concluded that Pyongyang should hold off on talks until a new US administration under President George W. Bush changes Washington's "hostile" policy toward Pyongyang.
PHOTO: AFP
"Our analysis of the results of the contact in New York prompts us to judge that the US side showed no willingness to change its policy toward us and intends to use the six-party talks as a leverage for forcing us to dismantle all our nuclear programs, including the nuclear development for a peaceful purpose, first,'' the North Korean spokesman was quoted as saying by the official news agency, KCNA.
Three rounds of six-nation talks aimed at persuading the North to halt weapons development have taken place since last year, but without a breakthrough. North Korea boycotted a fourth round scheduled for September, and analysts believed it was holding out for a change in the White House.
North Korea wants to maintain nuclear facilities for power generation and medical and agricultural research, but says it will abandon its nuclear weapons development if the US provides economic compensation and security guarantees. Washington has demanded an immediate dismantling of all the North's nuclear activities.
Since Bush's November re-election, diplomacy has resumed.
Chinese Vice Foreign Minister Dai Bingguo met in Washington with outgoing US Secretary of State Colin Powell on Thursday, with the nuclear issue a key topic.
Before Dai's trip, China sent its ambassador for the nuclear dispute, Ning Fukui, to North Korea to sound out the North on the issue.
South Korean Deputy Foreign Minister Lee Soo-hyuck arrived in Washington on Thursday, while President Roh Moo-hyun, on a visit to London, urged that the "six-party talks ... be reconvened as soon as possible."
Yesterday, North Korea said it was not in a hurry.
"As the second Bush administration has not yet emerged, we would like to wait a bit longer to follow with patience what a policy it will shape," the North Korean spokesman said.
The US wants the fourth round of talks to begin before February.
"The North Koreans hold the key to when the talks will take place," said Lee Kyo-duk, a North Korea expert at Seoul's Korea Institute for National Unification. "But they will wait until Bush completes his lineups for his second-term administration to have a clear picture of who they will have to deal with."
Paek Sung-joo, chief North Korea analyst at Seoul's Korea Institute for Defense Analysis, said talks would likely resume in the first quarter of next year, but probably only on the condition that Washington promises to resume free fuel oil shipments to the energy-starved North.
The US and its allies stopped those shipments after Washington accused North Korea in 2002 of running a clandestine nuclear program. North Korea retaliated by withdrawing from the Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty and restarting its nuclear facilities frozen under a 1994 deal.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
Japan unveiled a plan on Thursday to evacuate around 120,000 residents and tourists from its southern islets near Taiwan within six days in the event of an “emergency”. The plan was put together as “the security situation surrounding our nation grows severe” and with an “emergency” in mind, the government’s crisis management office said. Exactly what that emergency might be was left unspecified in the plan but it envisages the evacuation of around 120,000 people in five Japanese islets close to Taiwan. China claims Taiwan as part of its territory and has stepped up military pressure in recent years, including
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but