Iran insisted yesterday it has gone as far as it could to meet the demands of Europe and the rest of the international community over its nuclear activities, and said the ball was now in their court.
"We did our utmost to cooperate with the agency and build the needed confidence. Iran can take no further measures," Foreign Minister Kamal Kharazi said, referring to the UN nuclear watchdog, the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA).
European and Iranian officials have been locked in talks to try to avoid possible UN sanctions against Iran over its nuclear programme, in a wrangle that has led the IAEA to hold up issuing a key report on the standoff.
Britain, France and Germany are trying to persuade Iran to suspend crucial nuclear fuel cycle activities including the enrichment of uranium to ease international concern over what the United States alleges is a covert weapons drive.
In return, Europe's three major powers are offering Iran civilian nuclear technology, including access to nuclear fuel, increased trade and help with Tehran's regional security concerns.
Iranian officials handed their reply on the proposed deal late Thursday to the three countries and to Javier Solana, the European Union's foreign policy chief.
"The two sides were able to work out a joint proposal and the Iranian side has submitted its decision. Now it is the turn of the Europeans to submit theirs," Kharazi was quoted as saying by the official IRNA news agency.
"Talks with the Europeans will continue. If they agree with what we have proposed, further negotiations will be held that could consolidate Iran's claim," he added.
"I will never give up any opportunity for talks and will not refuse to negotiate with anyone who signifies a desire to speed up the resolution of this issue if there is any."
The IAEA, which is meeting on November 25 to discuss Iran, had been due to issue a report on the crisis on Friday.
Iran has long denied allegations it is seeking to build nuclear weapons and says that the fuel cycle work, including uranium enrichment, is permitted under the nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
Japan unveiled a plan on Thursday to evacuate around 120,000 residents and tourists from its southern islets near Taiwan within six days in the event of an “emergency”. The plan was put together as “the security situation surrounding our nation grows severe” and with an “emergency” in mind, the government’s crisis management office said. Exactly what that emergency might be was left unspecified in the plan but it envisages the evacuation of around 120,000 people in five Japanese islets close to Taiwan. China claims Taiwan as part of its territory and has stepped up military pressure in recent years, including
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but