A mysterious submarine that briefly entered Japanese territorial waters earlier this week without identifying itself came from China, Japan's top government spokesman said yesterday.
Japan's navy has been on alert since Wednesday, when the submarine was first spotted off the nation's southern island of Okinawa.
Tokyo had sent reconnaissance aircraft and naval destroyers to shadow the submarine, which had spent about two hours inside Japanese waters before heading north.
Chief Cabinet Secretary Hiroyuki Hosoda said Tokyo had concluded that it was a Chinese nuclear submarine after considering a range of factors, including the fact that the submarine appeared to be heading toward China.
"Judging from several pieces of information, we found that the submarine belongs to the Chinese navy and we plan to lodge a protest soon through diplomatic channels," Hosoda told a news conference.
Defense Agency chief Yoshinori Ono lifted Japan's naval alert yesterday, Hosoda said.
He didn't specify whether the aircraft and destroyers were returning home or whether the submarine had surfaced.
Tokyo had previously said it couldn't identify the submarine because it remained under water. Japanese media had cited defense officials as saying it likely was a Chinese Han-class nuclear submarine, based on the noise it was making and the length of time it had stayed beneath the sea's surface.
Beijing had no immediate comment.
On Thursday, China's Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Zhang Qiyue ((
Territorial disputes have occasionally flared up between Japan and its neighbors, China and South Korea. In recent months, Tokyo has squabbled with Beijing over natural gas deposits in the East China Sea.
Japan has accused China of conducting surveys for gas fields near Okinawa that extend into Japanese territorial waters.
China says its activities are close to its coast and don't concern Japan and has rejected offering more information.
Japan has been considering ways to boost its maritime defenses after a shoot out with a suspected North Korean spy ship in December 2001.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
Japan unveiled a plan on Thursday to evacuate around 120,000 residents and tourists from its southern islets near Taiwan within six days in the event of an “emergency”. The plan was put together as “the security situation surrounding our nation grows severe” and with an “emergency” in mind, the government’s crisis management office said. Exactly what that emergency might be was left unspecified in the plan but it envisages the evacuation of around 120,000 people in five Japanese islets close to Taiwan. China claims Taiwan as part of its territory and has stepped up military pressure in recent years, including
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but