Japan urged North Korea on yesterday to return to six-way talks on the North's nuclear weapons program in a third day of meetings focusing on the fate of missing Japanese citizens kidnapped by Northern spies, Japanese officials said.
"We were hoping to take this opportunity and discuss the six-nation talks," Japanese delegation chief Mitoji Yabunaka said at the beginning of yesterday's meeting in Pyongyang.
The comments were included in footage provided by North Korea and shown by Japanese broadcaster NHK.
Kim Kye-gwan, North Korea's vice foreign minister, said only that he hoped they could discuss "the problems pending between the two countries."
The two Koreas, China, Japan, Russia and the US have held three rounds of talks on North Korea's nuclear program since last year, but without breakthroughs.
A fourth round scheduled for September never happened because Pyongyang refused to attend, demanding that the US abandon what it called its hostile policy of trying to topple its government, and provide economic aid and security guarantees in exchange for a freeze on its nuclear activities.
Japanese and North Korean officials were to discuss the abduction issue later yesterday.
North Korea has admitted to kidnapping 13 Japanese in the 1970s and 1980s to teach Japanese language and customs to its spies. Pyongyang released five Japanese in 2002, but said the eight others had died.
Many Japanese suspect the eight, as well as other unconfirmed abduction victims, may still be alive, and Tokyo has demanded a more comprehensive investigation from the North.
Yesterday, Japanese officials were expected to demand the North provide new findings of their latest investigation, Japan's Foreign Ministry said in a statement.
Calls for economic sanctions against the North have been growing in Tokyo as a way of pressuring Pyongyang for information on the fate of those kidnapped.
Pyongyang barred Japanese media from the country to cover the talks, and Tokyo said it could not immediately confirm whether yesterday's meeting had begun as scheduled.
In a 12-hour meeting on Wed-nesday, the two sides discussed relations over the last few months and the North Koreans explained some of the results of their investigation, the ministry said, without providing further details.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
Japan unveiled a plan on Thursday to evacuate around 120,000 residents and tourists from its southern islets near Taiwan within six days in the event of an “emergency”. The plan was put together as “the security situation surrounding our nation grows severe” and with an “emergency” in mind, the government’s crisis management office said. Exactly what that emergency might be was left unspecified in the plan but it envisages the evacuation of around 120,000 people in five Japanese islets close to Taiwan. China claims Taiwan as part of its territory and has stepped up military pressure in recent years, including
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but