The western Afghan city of Herat was calm yesterday following bloody clashes between supporters of the powerful ousted governor and US and Afghan forces sent to keep the peace.
Roadblocks set up by authorities on Sunday after Ismail Khan's supporters torched buildings in a UN compound were removed and the skies were clear of US combat helicopters for the first time since Saturday afternoon.
Medics and witnesses reported seven people killed and up to 50 injured in weekend violence which erupted when President Hamid Karzai -- favorite to win Afghanistan's first ever direct presidential election on Oct. 9 -- sacked Khan and appointed a replacement as part of his campaign pledge to rein in warlords.
The US military said 15 of its soldiers had been injured in the clashes, with three of them evacuated for treatment, along with three Afghan national army servicemen.
Spokesman Major Scott Nelson said he had no figures for civilian casualties, but praised Afghan and US forces for showing "remarkable restraint" against what he said was a small group of protesters brought in from outside to stir up trouble.
"Our forces have not fired one round," he told a news briefing in the Afghan capital.
Nick Downie, of the Afghan Non-Governmental Organization Security Office (ANSO), said around 30 NGO staff had been relocated yesterday morning from Herat as a security precaution.
On Sunday night, Ismail Khan called on his supporters to exercise restraint and the army announced on Herat TV that further violence would be met with military force.
Authorities also imposed a night curfew and US spokesman Nelson said it would be in force again yesterday from 9pm.
But shops were open and traffic flowing normally yesterday on the streets of the strategic ancient city, near the border with Iran and Turkmenistan. Troops from the national army, national police and US-led forces were seen on patrol.
Residents had mixed reactions to the change of governor in Herat, the most prosperous region in Afghanistan.
Meanwhile, US forces backed by helicopter gunships killed 22 insurgents, including several Arabs, in southern Afghanistan, the US military said yesterday.
The fighting occurred late Sunday in Shinkay district of Zabul province, a hotbed of resistance to the US-backed Afghan government, the military said.
Spokesman Major Scott Nelson said about 40 "enemy" fighters attacked a coalition patrol in Shinkay, who called for assistance from two Apache helicopters, which opened fire on the fighters, killing 22 of them.
Among the dead were three Arabs, the spokesman said. Another Arab was arrested. No coalition forces were hurt, he said.
The US forces seized a global positioning system, a video camera with tapes, four grenades and two assault rifles, he said.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
Japan unveiled a plan on Thursday to evacuate around 120,000 residents and tourists from its southern islets near Taiwan within six days in the event of an “emergency”. The plan was put together as “the security situation surrounding our nation grows severe” and with an “emergency” in mind, the government’s crisis management office said. Exactly what that emergency might be was left unspecified in the plan but it envisages the evacuation of around 120,000 people in five Japanese islets close to Taiwan. China claims Taiwan as part of its territory and has stepped up military pressure in recent years, including
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but