The death toll from heavy rain and flooding caused by Typhoon Megi climbed to nine in Japan and three in South Korea yesterday, while 134 Japanese children on a cram-school camp were stranded in a mountain village, police said.
The bodies of two women were found in a swollen river in Kagawa prefecture, some 550km west of Tokyo yesterday, bringing the total number of the storm's victims in Japan since Tuesday to nine.
PHOTO: REUTERS
"We believe it is the body of a 72-year-old woman and her 45-year-old daughter ... who went missing after a flash flood hit the shelter where they were taking refuge," a local police spokesman said.
Three other people, aged between 74 and 84, were also found dead in Kagawa on Tuesday and Wednesday.
In the mountain village of Okawa in Kochi prefecture, about 170 people, including 134 schoolchildren aged 11 and 12, remained confined to a lodge where they were attending an examination cram school, cut off since Tuesday as heavy rain washed away all the roads to it.
In neighboring Ehime prefecture, a 78-year-old-man was found dead on Wednesday after being swept into an irrigation ditch, while on Tuesday a 74-year-old man was found dead in an overflowing irrigation channel.
Two more deaths were confirmed late on Wednesday in Ehime.
The heavy rainfall caused by Typhoon Megi was expected to continue through yesterday, the Meteorological Agency said.
The agency has warned of torrential rain, flooding and violent winds for southwestern Japan.
South Korea
Typhoon Megi killed three people on the southwest tip of South Korea and left two missing, emergency officials said yesterday.
The typhoon first hit South Korea on Wednesday, bringing heavy rains and leaving more than 2,400 people homeless, said Park Min-ju, an official at the country's disaster agency. More than 1,200 homes were flooded or destroyed.
One 47-year-old man was killed while working near a dam and a 65-year-old woman was walking on a bridge over a brook when she was swept away by the flood, said Kang Chung, another emergency official. Another 69-year-old man also was killed, but no details were available.
Missing were a 74-year-old man apparently swept away while working on a farm in Naju city, about 280km south of Seoul, and another 42-year-old man, Kang said.
All the casualties were in southwestern Cholla province.
The heavy weather also shut down seven airports and caused the cancelation of 41 domestic flights.
Bangladesh
Meanwhile, the UN Development Program is considering building floating homes in Bangladesh following the worst flooding in years to strike this low-lying country, a spokeswoman said yesterday.
Inspired by the floating dwellings of Vietnam, the houses would float permanently on a raft made of bamboo, reducing the impact of floods that regularly hit Bangladesh.
The proposal is one of eight by French architects Patrick Coulombel and Christian Coombes, commissioned by the UN body to come up with simple cost-effective solutions to flood-proof homes.
The country was devastated by flooding that also hit India and Nepal last month, washing away homes, destroying crops and livelihoods and killing more than 1,950 people across South Asia, including at least 726 in Bangladesh.
If adopted, the proposals would form part of a post-flood rehabilitation program funded by money raised from a US$210 million appeal launched last week by the UN.
Other solutions suggested by the architects, who are representatives of the organization Emergency Architects, include building homes on earth embankments and the construction of temporary floors above the level of the floodwater.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
Japan unveiled a plan on Thursday to evacuate around 120,000 residents and tourists from its southern islets near Taiwan within six days in the event of an “emergency”. The plan was put together as “the security situation surrounding our nation grows severe” and with an “emergency” in mind, the government’s crisis management office said. Exactly what that emergency might be was left unspecified in the plan but it envisages the evacuation of around 120,000 people in five Japanese islets close to Taiwan. China claims Taiwan as part of its territory and has stepped up military pressure in recent years, including
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but