US Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld is the target of legal action by an army reservist who is suing him and top military officials over a retention policy that allows the Pentagon to keep troops on active duty in Iraq even after their contracts expire.
As many as 40,000 soldiers have been forced to extend their stay in the US Army through the so-called "stop-loss" emergency program since the beginning of the Iraq war in March 2003, according to legal experts.
The plaintiff, who filed suit against Rumsfeld, Acting Army Secretary Les Brownlee and others with the Ninth US District Court on Tuesday, alleges a breach of contract and questions the constitutionality of the whole setup.
He has been identified by his attorney simply as John Doe to protect his privacy.
Court documents describe him as a decorated veteran who has already completed nine years of active service with the Army and the US Marine Corps, including deployments in Somalia and unidentified war zones in the Middle East.
Last year, the father of two small daughters aged three and six served a tour of combat duty in Iraq, which he completed in December.
Upon returning home to the San Francisco Bay Area, Doe joined the California Army National Guard on a one-year contract that expires on December 21.
However, his commanders told him in July that, because of the "stop-loss" policy, his one-year enlistment had been extended for an additional two years, and that his National Guard unit had been mobilized for service in Iraq, according to the lawsuit.
He is due to leave soon for six months of training at Fort Bliss, Texas, followed by deployment to Iraq immediately after the training program is completed.
The lawsuit asserts the emergency policy instituted in the wake of the September 11 attacks was "invalid" because the Iraqi regime of Saddam Hussein has been removed from power and "Iraq cannot be considered to pose a threat of terrorist attack upon the United States."
While acknowledging that Doe's contract allows the military to retain him in the event of war, the filing notes that "Congress has not declared a war in Iraq or elsewhere," which makes involuntary retentions illegal.
"American citizens cannot constitutionally be required to serve involuntarily and indefinitely at whim," the lawsuit argues.
The controversial Pentagon policy has already turned into a political hot potato this election year, as Democratic presidential nominee John Kerry decried it in his acceptance speech in Boston, Massachusetts, last month as "the backdoor draft".
The comment drew a testy repartee from Rumsfeld, who insisted in a radio interview that "anyone in the reserve is there voluntarily".
Meanwhile, attorney Michael Sorgen, who represents Doe, said the case will be certainly closely watched by thousands of military personnel and their families, particularly by the 123,000 American troops currently serving in Iraq.
"When their period of enlistment ends, they should be entitled to return to their families," Sorgen said.
Marguerite Hiken of the Military Law Task Force, a group that closely monitors enlistment policies, said the US military should not be allowed to create "a new category of indentured servitude."
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
Japan unveiled a plan on Thursday to evacuate around 120,000 residents and tourists from its southern islets near Taiwan within six days in the event of an “emergency”. The plan was put together as “the security situation surrounding our nation grows severe” and with an “emergency” in mind, the government’s crisis management office said. Exactly what that emergency might be was left unspecified in the plan but it envisages the evacuation of around 120,000 people in five Japanese islets close to Taiwan. China claims Taiwan as part of its territory and has stepped up military pressure in recent years, including
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but