British government insistence that eight servicemen and their patrol boats seized by Iran last week had not strayed across the border but were "forcibly escorted into Iranian territorial waters" caused waves of protest yesterday.
In a written statement to parliament issued late Wednesday, Defence Secretary Geoff Hoon said during debriefing the men had insisted they were "operating inside the Iraqi border and were forcibly escorted into Iranian territorial waters".
The opposition Conservative Party demanded that Iran issue a full apology and return the three patrol boats still being held.
Hoon said return of the boats and the retrieval of navigational information in the Global Positioning System equipment aboard would assist the inquiry. The Iranians had failed to meet a deadline set for the return of the three boats, weapons, ammunition, radios and navigational equipment, he said.
"We are very concerned about the blindfolding of the men and have made representations to the government of Iran. We have made it clear that we do not expect a recurrence of this incident," he added in reference to the way the men had been shown on Iranian state-run television.
Two of the men appeared to apologize on Iranian television for the incident.
All eight, six Royal Marines and two Royal Navy sailors, were released last Thursday.
Their detention by the Iranians came close to provoking a major diplomatic incident. British officials appeared to issue a guarded apology last week when they said the men "may have strayed into Iranian waters."
Conservative Defence spokesman Michael Ancram characterized Hoon's statement as "outrageous" and demanded the immediate return of the equipment.
"We were required to apologize for what appeared to have been trespassing into Iranian waters. Our servicemen were paraded blindfolded and humiliated. The equipment still has not been returned. This really does create an extraordinary strain on Iranian-British relations," he told the BBC.
Commentators suggest both governments sought to play down the incident in the hope of avoiding damage to relations between London and Tehran.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
Japan unveiled a plan on Thursday to evacuate around 120,000 residents and tourists from its southern islets near Taiwan within six days in the event of an “emergency”. The plan was put together as “the security situation surrounding our nation grows severe” and with an “emergency” in mind, the government’s crisis management office said. Exactly what that emergency might be was left unspecified in the plan but it envisages the evacuation of around 120,000 people in five Japanese islets close to Taiwan. China claims Taiwan as part of its territory and has stepped up military pressure in recent years, including
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but