Yesterday, for the first time, Palestinian rockets fired from the Gaza Strip killed people in Israel, a three-year-old boy and a man, in a deadly battle of wills in anticipation of an Israeli pullout.
A strong Israeli military response appeared likely after two rockets slammed into the southern town of Sderot some 12 hours after militants blew up an army post in the Gaza Strip, killing one soldier and wounding five others.
At least four Palestinians were also killed in the latest spiral of violence in the area, where Israel and militants have been locked in a fight to claim victory before implementation of Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon's Gaza pullout plan.
PHOTO: EPA
"An ambulance pulled up and there was a dead three-year-old boy inside," said a doctor at Soroka Hospital in the southern Israeli city of Beersheba, where Sderot casualties were taken.
Medical officials said a man, aged 50, was also killed and about a dozen people, including the boy's mother, were wounded. One of the rockets landed next to a kindergarten, but none of the children inside was hurt.
"I put the kids in my kindergarten into a shelter, and then I came running and saw the mother and son lying on the sidewalk on top of one another," said teacher Minnie Shoshan.
It was the first time makeshift rockets fired from Gaza, whose small payloads usually cause no serious injuries, had killed anyone in Israel. Sharon planned to hold security consultations later in the day, an official said.
"So far Sderot had been lucky in the Qassam [rocket] attacks, but that luck ran out today," Israeli cabinet minister Gideon Ezra told Israel Radio. The town has been hit by 10 rockets this year, the army said.
Izz el-Deen al-Qassam, the armed wing of the militant Hamas group, claimed responsibility for an attack that fueled worst-case scenarios in Israel of rockets slamming into its southern towns after a Gaza withdrawal.
"They [Israeli forces] should never leave Gaza. It would mean death for us," said Mira Zaaroum, a resident of Sderot, a working class town 1km from the border.
A senior Israeli official said Sharon was determined to press ahead with his plan to evacuate all 21 Jewish settlements in Gaza and four of the 120 in the West Bank.
"Terrorism will not dictate our political plans," the official said.
Avi Pazner, an Israeli government spokesman, said Israel would continue its efforts "to destroy the terrorist infrastructure, arrest those behind terrorist activities and harshly punish those who perpetrate these murderous activities."
Hamas and al-Aqsa Martyrs Brigades, an armed group in Palestinian President Yasser Arafat's Fatah faction, both claimed responsibility for a Sunday explosion that destroyed the army post near the Gush Katif bloc of Jewish settlements.
They called it retaliation for Israel's assassination of two top Hamas leaders earlier this year and the killing of an al-Aqsa Brigades leader in the West Bank on Saturday.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
Japan unveiled a plan on Thursday to evacuate around 120,000 residents and tourists from its southern islets near Taiwan within six days in the event of an “emergency”. The plan was put together as “the security situation surrounding our nation grows severe” and with an “emergency” in mind, the government’s crisis management office said. Exactly what that emergency might be was left unspecified in the plan but it envisages the evacuation of around 120,000 people in five Japanese islets close to Taiwan. China claims Taiwan as part of its territory and has stepped up military pressure in recent years, including
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but