The British government's senior legal officer launched a public attack yesterday on proposals by the Bush administration to bring Guantanamo prisoners before military tribunals.
Attorney-general Peter Goldsmith referred to US President George W. Bush's plans as "unacceptable," echoing the sentiments of other senior lawyers in Britain.
Lord Goldsmith's remarks were released to the media ahead of an address to the International Criminal Law Association in Paris yesterday evening.
"While we must be flexible and be prepared to countenance some limitation of fundamental rights if properly justified and proportionate, there are certain principles on which there can be no compromise," Goldsmith was to say.
"Fair trial is one of those -- which is the reason we in the UK have been unable to accept that the US military tribunals proposed for those detained at Guantanamo Bay offer sufficient guarantees of a fair trial in accordance with international standards," Goldsmith said.
British observers said the remarks from Goldsmith, who advises the cabinet on legal matters, were in contrast to previous comments from government ministers, although Foreign Secretary Jack Straw has also said that the trials of Britons held there should take place in accordance with international legal standards.
In July of last year, Bush unveiled plans for a system of military commissions to try around 600 detainees at the Cuban base.
Two Britons were among those named on an initial list of six to face the tribunals.
Those at the US military base on Cuba were detained outside the US, a large number of them in Afghanistan.
The US administration holds that they are not subject to the jurisdiction of US courts, although this is being contested through the US courts.
In November of last year, a British law lord, Johan Steyn, referred to conditions of "utter lawlessness" at Guantanamo Bay, and other lawyers have said the detainees there had fallen into a "legal black hole."
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but
JOINT EFFORTS: The three countries have been strengthening an alliance and pressing efforts to bolster deterrence against Beijing’s assertiveness in the South China Sea The US, Japan and the Philippines on Friday staged joint naval drills to boost crisis readiness off a disputed South China Sea shoal as a Chinese military ship kept watch from a distance. The Chinese frigate attempted to get closer to the waters, where the warships and aircraft from the three allied countries were undertaking maneuvers off the Scarborough Shoal — also known as Huangyan Island (黃岩島) and claimed by Taiwan and China — in an unsettling moment but it was warned by a Philippine frigate by radio and kept away. “There was a time when they attempted to maneuver