The administration of US President George W. Bush is attempting to avoid defeat of its UN resolution seeking an exemption for US soldiers from international prosecution by offering to extend the measure for one final year only.
Faced with mounting criticism of US abuses of prisoners in Iraq, the US on Tuesday proposed amending a Security Council resolution on the International Criminal Court after it became clear it did not have enough votes.
Instead of pressing for an open-ended renewal of the resolution, first adopted in 2002, US officials said they would not press for a renewal after next June.
Yesterday, the 15 council members were to discuss the issue again, with diplomats speculating the compromise may have softened the opposition enough to give the US the minimum nine votes it needs for adoption.
The new court, based in the Hague, Netherlands and largely financed by Europeans, is to try individuals responsible for the world worst atrocities, including genocide, war crimes and systematic human rights abuses -- a belated effort to fulfill the promise of the Nuremberg trials that prosecuted Nazi leaders after World War II.
But the Bush administration opposes on principle an international court having jurisdiction over US soldiers abroad and anticipates frivolous prosecutions, although the court can only hear complaints against a person from a nation that was unable or unwilling to press charges.
This would exclude the US and the abuses in Iraq, which Washington is investigating.
In presenting the compromise, James Cunningham, the deputy US ambassador, told reporters the the US was "more comfortable" with a year's renewal of the resolution because it had obtained bilateral agreements from 90 countries that no US soldiers or government officials would be prosecuted.
"The United States is the biggest provider of global security and we have special concerns in this area, as we've made clear over the past couple of years," Cunningham said.
Before seeking a vote he said "we would like to know if this approach of ours will provide a basis for going forward" and avoid "divisiveness in the council." He said the resolution was "causing increasing discomfort in the council, and we're aware of that."
The council has scheduled an opened debate on Thursday after which diplomats say the US would like a vote.
The resolution was first adopted in 2002 after the US began to veto UN peacekeeping operations.
Last week, UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan urged the Security Council to oppose the US resolution, saying it would undermine international law and send an "unfortunate signal any time -- but particularly at this time."
This convinced enough council members to consider an abstention to defeat the measure. Among them were Chile, Benin, Spain, Romania, China, Brazil and Algeria. France, Germany and Brazil, strong supporters of the court, are expected to abstain regardless of the amendment, but other votes are not certain.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
Japan unveiled a plan on Thursday to evacuate around 120,000 residents and tourists from its southern islets near Taiwan within six days in the event of an “emergency”. The plan was put together as “the security situation surrounding our nation grows severe” and with an “emergency” in mind, the government’s crisis management office said. Exactly what that emergency might be was left unspecified in the plan but it envisages the evacuation of around 120,000 people in five Japanese islets close to Taiwan. China claims Taiwan as part of its territory and has stepped up military pressure in recent years, including
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but