Prosecutors yesterday called for pedophile Marc Dutroux to face life behind bars for the kidnapping and rape of six young girls, four of whom died, in a case which rocked Belgium eight years ago.
Dutroux's crimes "merit the heaviest sentence: life," prosecutor Michel Bourlet told the court in Arlon, in eastern Belgium, which is expected to announce sentences against Dutroux and his three co-defendants today or tomorrow.
"He is an extremely serious psychopath, a narcissistic manipulator without remorse," said Bourlet -- who played a key role in Dutroux's arrest in 1996 -- speaking as sentencing hearings began after Dutroux's conviction last week.
The prosecutor also called for 30-year jail terms for Dutroux's ex-wife Michelle Martin and his former "right-hand man" Michel Lelievre, and at least 10 years for businessman Michel Nihoul.
Guilty
After three months of hearings dubbed Belgium's "trial of the century," the 47-year-old was found guilty last week on three counts of murder as well as of abducting and raping the six schoolgirls.
Many Belgians remain disturbed by Dutroux's claim that he was not the "lone predator" portrayed by the prosecution, but part of a pedophile network run by Nihoul. The Dutroux jury acquitted Nihoul of any involvement in the abductions.
A 12-member jury last Thursday found Dutroux guilty of murdering two teenagers, An Marchal and Eefje Lambrecks, as well as killing an accomplice, Bernard Weinstein.
His 44-year-old ex-wife was found guilty of imprisoning the abducted girls and of rape. Lelievre, 33, was convicted of drug dealing and of kidnapping four of the girls -- Marchal and Lambrecks, as well as Sabine Dardenne and Laetitia Delhez, who survived their ordeal.
The two other victims, eight-year-olds Julie Lejeune and Melissa Russo, were left to starve to death in a dungeon purpose-built by Dutroux.
The prosecution was unable to determine precisely when they died and so could not press murder charges against Dutroux, who claimed that his ex-wife failed to feed them.
Nihoul, a 63-year-old conman, was acquitted over the affair, undermining the burning belief of many Belgians that Dutroux was the sordid courier for a shadowy child-abuse network.
He still faces up to 20 years in jail for drug-dealing, peddling false documents and trading in stolen vehicles.
Questions
While the parents of the girls killed by Dutroux welcomed his conviction for murder, rape and kidnapping, they and others said that the 17-week trial had left important questions unanswered.
Newspapers said Nihoul's acquittal on charges of organizing the abduction of the six girls had failed to lift the suspicion that the children were victims of "a vast network of powerful people which protected the strong and exploited the weak."
The 12 jurors split seven-to-five on Nihoul's guilt when the trial ended on Thursday but declared him not guilty after they were ordered by the three trial judges to reconsider their verdict.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but
JOINT EFFORTS: The three countries have been strengthening an alliance and pressing efforts to bolster deterrence against Beijing’s assertiveness in the South China Sea The US, Japan and the Philippines on Friday staged joint naval drills to boost crisis readiness off a disputed South China Sea shoal as a Chinese military ship kept watch from a distance. The Chinese frigate attempted to get closer to the waters, where the warships and aircraft from the three allied countries were undertaking maneuvers off the Scarborough Shoal — also known as Huangyan Island (黃岩島) and claimed by Taiwan and China — in an unsettling moment but it was warned by a Philippine frigate by radio and kept away. “There was a time when they attempted to maneuver