A coup attempt in the Congo capital of Kinshasa and a week of clashes over an eastern border city made clear the precariousness of the country's peace, raising fears among its desperate people that they could be plunged back into Africa's deadliest war.
The Congolese already saw 3.3 million countrymen die in the 1998-2002 war, which drew in armies from five neighboring nations. Last week, tens of thousands took to the streets nationwide to vent their anger over the threat of new conflict.
"What will happen next? We are on our way to chaos," an opposition politician, Valentin Mubake Nombi, lamented in Kinshasa, which saw the bloodiest of the rioting that erupted with the June 2 fall of Bukavu in eastern Congo to renegade former rebels.
Congolese denounced the postwar power-sharing government and burned, stoned and looted bases of the 10,800 UN peacekeepers in Congo. The mobs blamed both for Bukavu's takeover by two former rebel commanders and their supporters. At the end of the week, the brittle transition government led by President Joseph Kabila seemed to have survived the biggest threat in its 14 months, after driving the last renegades from Bukavu on Wednesday and crushing a coup attempt by presidential guards in Kinshasa on Friday.
But it was evident the tensions that touched off the war remain severe, two years after the conflict ended.
The violent protests across the country after Bukavu's capture represented the desperation and anger of the powerless -- knowing through experience what faces them if Congo's war revives, a longtime humanitarian official said.
"Another victim of this war was people's sense of hope, sense of control over their lives," said Michael Despines, an International Rescue Committee regional director who spent six years in Congo during and after the war. "That was starting to come back."
The fighting over Bukavu showed people how delicate the situation is, Despines said.
"It unleashed this frustration and rage in the population over the lack of control of their lives," he said. "They can't provide ... they can't protect their women or children."
Congo's tragedy began with Rwanda's -- in 1994, when the Rwandan government, dominated by ethnic Hutus, massacred more than a half million minority Tutsis and moderate Hutus.
Congo's leaders did nothing when Rwandan Hutus involved in the genocide fled into Congo, setting up bases for attacks on Rwanda after Tutsi-led forces drove them from power.
Seeking to end the threat, Rwan-da's army invaded eastern Congo in 1996, and again in 1998, backing Congolese rebels. The renegade Congolese Tutsi commanders were wartime members of the Rwanda-backed rebel group. But Rwanda denied any involvement in the latest Bukavu fighting, and UN officials said they saw no sign of Rwandan troops there.
Uganda joined Rwanda in the 1998 offensive, with both pouring in thousands of soldiers in a bid to topple Congo's government that grew into Africa's "first world war."
Congo's southern neighbors -- Angola, Zimbabwe and Namibia -- sent troops to support the government.
The government and its allies held on to the capital, in western Congo, and 40 percent of the nation. Their foes controlled the rest, running de facto fiefdoms in the resource-rich east and northeast.
The split severed the Congo River and other trade routes. Cut off from the rest of the country, Kinshasa went hungry. Dog-meat shacks did sellout business after each morning's roundup from people's yards.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
Japan unveiled a plan on Thursday to evacuate around 120,000 residents and tourists from its southern islets near Taiwan within six days in the event of an “emergency”. The plan was put together as “the security situation surrounding our nation grows severe” and with an “emergency” in mind, the government’s crisis management office said. Exactly what that emergency might be was left unspecified in the plan but it envisages the evacuation of around 120,000 people in five Japanese islets close to Taiwan. China claims Taiwan as part of its territory and has stepped up military pressure in recent years, including
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but