Police in France, Spain, Italy and Belgium launched raids on suspected Islamic militants, arresting at least two men accused of playing a role in the Madrid train bombings in March, Italian judicial sources said yesterday.
The sources, confirming reports carried by Italian daily Corriere della Sera, said one man was arrested late on Monday in Milan. A second suspected militant was also detained by Italian police, they said.
The sources said that the cross-border operation involved police in France, Spain and Belgium, as well as in Italy.
"It is coordinated at the European level," one source said.
Belgian federal prosecutor Eric Van Der Sypt confirmed Brussels was working with the authorities in Italy.
Italian news agency ANSA said one man was arrested in Belgium, and about a dozen others were detained for checks but not arrested.
Italian police were acting on a Spanish arrest warrant when they seized one of the suspects late on Monday in connection with the Madrid bombings that killed 191 people, a Spanish court said.
A court official identified the man arrested in Milan as Rabei Osman Sayed Ahmed, also known as "Mohamed the Egyptian". The court will now seek his extradition, the official said.
High Court Judge Juan del Olmo, who has been leading the investigation into the train attacks, issued the arrest warrant Monday.
Corriere della Sera, in a front-page report, said "Mohamed the Egyptian" was suspected of playing a central role in planning the March 11 train attacks. The man, arrested after a joint three-month investigation by Italy's anti-terrorist unit and Italian intelligence, was thought to be the head of a Moroccan radical Islamist cell, the paper said.
Corriere reported that the landlord of the man's apartment in Milan, believed to be a north African, was also arrested.
La Repubblica newspaper reported that three or four men had been arrested in raids in three northern Italian towns, including Milan. The paper said the men had planned an attack in Italy.
Italy, long seen as a target for militant Islamic groups after its support for the US-led campaign in Iraq, has stepped up security since the Madrid bombs.
Italian police have made a number of arrests, in the north especially, since the Sept. 11 attacks in the US. Last month in Florence, anti-terror police arrested five suspected members of a militant Islamic group who were believed to be recruiting suicide bombers to carry out attacks in Iraq.
An Algerian imam and four Tunisians were detained in Florence as part of a year-long investigation into alleged "terrorist" cells there and in the port city of Genoa, according to officials working on the probe.
Those men were suspected of giving logistical support to al-Qaeda, the network headed by Osama bin Laden and blamed for Sept. 11, and of belonging to Ansar al-Islam, which America describes as its main "terrorist adversary" in postwar Iraq. Police believe at least one of the suspects planned to carry out a suicide attack in Iraq himself.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
Japan unveiled a plan on Thursday to evacuate around 120,000 residents and tourists from its southern islets near Taiwan within six days in the event of an “emergency”. The plan was put together as “the security situation surrounding our nation grows severe” and with an “emergency” in mind, the government’s crisis management office said. Exactly what that emergency might be was left unspecified in the plan but it envisages the evacuation of around 120,000 people in five Japanese islets close to Taiwan. China claims Taiwan as part of its territory and has stepped up military pressure in recent years, including
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but