A BBC cameraman was shot dead and a fellow journalist wounded in Riyadh on Sunday, the latest in a string of terror attacks by suspected Islamist extremists increasingly targeting Westerners in Saudi Arabia.
Barely a week after gunmen killed 22 people, including several Westerners, in a shooting rampage and hostage-taking drama in the eastern oil city of Al-Khobar, the Irish cameraman and British journalist came under fire in the Al-Suwaidi district in Riyadh near the home of a top wanted militant.
PHOTO: AFP
The BBC confirmed in London late on Sunday that cameraman Simon Cumbers, 36, was killed while security correspondent Frank Gardner, 42, was injured and was being treated in hospital in the Saudi capital.
Gardner "is a leading expert on Al-Qaeda and works full-time reporting on the war on terror," the BBC said in a statement.
Al-Qaeda sympathizers are blamed for the terror campaign which has killed more than 85 people and injured hundreds in Saudi Arabia since May last year.
Cumbers was "a freelance journalist and cameraman who has worked throughout the world filming international news stories for the BBC and for news organizations such as Associated Press Television and ITN," the BBC said.
Hospital sources here said Gardner was out of danger after undergoing surgery at Al-Iman hospital. They said he would be moved to the King Faisal Specialist Hospital in the capital.
British Foreign Secretary Jack Straw condemned the attack and expressed admiration for Gardner.
"I utterly condemn the attack on BBC journalists in Riyadh today," Straw said in a statement. "I extend my sympathy to the family of the cameraman who was killed and my thoughts are with Frank Gardner, his family, colleagues and friends."
He added: "We will continue to do all we can to support the Saudi authorities in their fight against terrorism."
Gardner, a fluent Arabic speaker with a degree in Arab and Islamic Studies, was reported to be carrying a small copy of the Koran, the Muslim holy book, in his pocket when he and his colleague came under fire near the home of Ibrahim al-Rayyes, a terror suspect killed in a clash with security forces in the area last December.
Rayyes was on a list of 26 most-wanted suspects which has gone down to 18 since it was issued by authorities in December.
Despite the security forces' relentless hunt for terror suspects, presumed Al-Qaeda sympathizers blamed for a series of suicide bombings in Riyadh last year have escalated attacks since April, bombing a security forces building in the capital before expanding their scope of operations to target both Westerners and oil-related facilities in various parts of the vast kingdom.
Last weekend, four Westerners -- an American, a Briton, an Italian and a Swede -- were among the 22 people killed in the Al-Khobar carnage.
On Wednesday, one American serviceman was slightly injured when shots were fired at two vehicles carrying two US military personnel who help train the Saudi National Guard as they drove along a highway outside the Saudi capital, according to the US embassy in Riyadh.
Statements attributed to Al-Qaeda and affiliates, sent by e-mail or posted on Islamist Web sites, have claimed responsibility for the latest attacks.
On Friday, a statement attributed to Abdul Aziz al-Muqrin, who is alleged to be Al-Qaeda's chief in Saudi Arabia and tops the most-wanted list, hailed the recent spike in oil prices that was partly caused by the attacks in the oil-rich kingdom and took pride in the killing of "all infidel hostages" during the Al-Khobar carnage.
Three of the Al-Khobar killers escaped, while a fourth was wounded and captured, according to Saudi authorities.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
Japan unveiled a plan on Thursday to evacuate around 120,000 residents and tourists from its southern islets near Taiwan within six days in the event of an “emergency”. The plan was put together as “the security situation surrounding our nation grows severe” and with an “emergency” in mind, the government’s crisis management office said. Exactly what that emergency might be was left unspecified in the plan but it envisages the evacuation of around 120,000 people in five Japanese islets close to Taiwan. China claims Taiwan as part of its territory and has stepped up military pressure in recent years, including
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but