Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez calmly welcomed news that he would likely face a recall referendum on his rule, saying those who accuse him of steering Venezuela into dictatorship have been proven wrong.
Still, the prospect of a vote promised to plunge deeply polarized Venezuela -- the world's fifth-largest oil exporter, into a turbulent new phase of an escalating power struggle.
"I accept the challenge," Chavez said in a nationally televised address hours after the National Elections Council projected that opposition leaders had gathered enough signatures to force the vote.
PHOTO: REUTERS
"I hope that some people realize -- if they are still confused -- that Hugo Chavez is not the tyrant some say he is," Chavez said.
`enough signatures'
Thursday's announcement capped months of wrangling over the recall petition. Venezuela's opposition insisted election authorities did all they could to derail a vote, while Chavez insisted his foes resorted to fraud to gather signatures.
Chavez acknowledged for the first time Thursday that any fraud was not widespread enough to affect the results.
"They simply gathered enough signatures. Let's accept that," he said.
Chavez's opponents accuse the former paratroop commander of gradually imposing an authoritarian government. Supporters applaud his far-reaching social programs for Venezuela's poor majority.
Thousands of Chavez supporters rallied outside the presidential palace, chanting: "Oh no! Chavez won't go!"
The president assured them he would win a vote and warned his opponents: "It's not good to sing victory ahead of time."
Elections council director Jorge Rodriguez said a count of roughly 40 percent of voter signatures indicated Chavez opponents had gathered 2,451,821 signatures on petitions to demand the referendum -- surpassing the required 2,436,083 signatures.
Opposition leaders cheered and hugged each other at their headquarters, celebrating their first victory after a string of defeats that including a botched 2002 coup and a two-month general strike last year that failed to topple Chavez but ruined the economy.
"We did it!" said Enrique Mendoza, leader of the Democratic Coordinator coalition.
Chavez said he hoped the prospect of a democratic vote would deter future attempts to overthrow his leftist government.
fraud investigations
"US President George W. Bush is the true instigator of all these movements," Chavez alleged, repeating a refrain which Washington routinely denies.
"I'm happy that instead of coups, the opposition is planning a democratic referendum," he said.
Political violence gripped parts of the capital Thursday.
Chavez supporters set trucks ablaze, severely beat opposition lawmaker Rafael Marin outside Congress and fired on the offices of Caracas' opposition mayor, Alfredo Pena.
They also fired shots at El Nacional newspaper and Radio Caracas Television and ransacked the offices of Asi es la Noticia newspaper.
One police officer died after being hit by a vehicle fleeing the violence, said Caracas police chief Lazaro Forero.
For a recall to succeed, more citizens would have to vote against Chavez than the 3.76 million people who re-elected him to a six-year term in 2000.
The elections council also approved recall referendums against nine opposition lawmakers, Rodriguez said. He did not announce dates for the votes.
More than 2.4 million signatures -- 20 percent of the electorate -- are needed to trigger a recall vote on Chavez. Activists say they turned in more than 3.4 million signatures in December.
The elections council accepted 1.9 million signatures, rejected another 400,000 and ordered more than 1 million citizens to confirm last weekend that they had signed the petition.
Government supporters claimed the opposition used thousands of fake ID cards to bolster its total number of signatures. Several government investigations into alleged fraud were continuing.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
Japan unveiled a plan on Thursday to evacuate around 120,000 residents and tourists from its southern islets near Taiwan within six days in the event of an “emergency”. The plan was put together as “the security situation surrounding our nation grows severe” and with an “emergency” in mind, the government’s crisis management office said. Exactly what that emergency might be was left unspecified in the plan but it envisages the evacuation of around 120,000 people in five Japanese islets close to Taiwan. China claims Taiwan as part of its territory and has stepped up military pressure in recent years, including
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but