Israeli troops pushed deeper into the Rafah refugee camp yesterday, undeterred by the international outcry after at least eight Palestinians were killed by Israeli tank fire as they demonstrated against the military operation.
Five Palestinians were killed early yesterday, bringing the death toll for the Rafah operation to 37.
Many of the casualties in Wednesday's attack were children. Adding to world anger were the sight of bloodied children and reports of overwhelmed doctors treating dozens of wounded on blood-drenched hospital floors.
PHOTO: REUTERS
Israel apologized for the deaths, saying its troops did not deliberately fire on marchers, but blamed the Palestinians, claiming gunmen mixed with the crowd.
The UN Security Council passed a resolution condemning the loss of life and Israel's demolition of homes. The US abstained, the first time in nearly two years that it didn't exercise its veto on a resolution sharply critical of Israel.
Brigadier General Ruth Yaron, the army's chief spokeswoman, said yesterday that the offensive -- the largest in Gaza in years -- will continue until troops obliterate weapons-smuggling tunnels and round up militants.
Early yesterday, an Israeli missile strike killed three in the Rafah camp. The army said gunmen were approaching Israeli forces. Hours later, troops fired a tank shell and killed two near the border, Palestinian doctors said.
Since Israel launched its operation early on Tuesday, 37 Palestinians have been killed. Dozens have been wounded, and refugees have been dealing with power outages and lack of water.
Israel raided the refugee camp less than a week after Palestinian militants killed 13 soldiers in Gaza.
By yesterday morning, the army had taken control of four neighborhoods in the camp, home to nearly 60,000 people..
Palestinian men in the Rafah neighborhood of Tel Sultan gathered on the main street to be questioned by Israeli soldiers. Minutes later, the army fired a tank shell at the demonstration headed in the direction of Tel Sultan.
Ghada Abu Jazar, 33, said her husband had left their home in Tel Sultan for Israeli questioning and not returned. "Since then, I know nothing about him," she said. "Words can't describe what we went through last night: Shooting, explosions, complete darkness and the screams of children."
Nabil Abu Rdeneh, a senior aide to Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat, welcomed the US abstention and called on the US government to "force Israel to accept international forces here to protect the Palestinian people."
Israel appeared unconcerned about the US vote. Raanan Gissin, an aide to Prime Minister Ariel Sharon, attributed the abstention to the "delicate situation in which the United States finds itself."
Israeli Defense Minister Shaul Mofaz insisted the operation "is necessary and essential for the security of Israel ... and will continue as long as necessary."
A preliminary army investigation concluded that a warning shot fired by a tank meant to disperse Wednesday's protest had flown through a building and hit the crowd, security sources said. They spoke on condition of anonymity.
Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat called the deaths a "massacre that stands against all humane, civilized and political principles."
Dr. Ali Moussa, director of the Rafah hospital, said yesterday that eight people were confirmed dead, including six people under 18. He said 55 were wounded, several in serious condition.
The fighting has revived debate inside Israel on its continued presence in Gaza. Sharon has proposed withdrawing from the volatile area, but his Likud Party rejected the proposal.
The US said Wednesday's deaths "serve as a grim reminder of the wisdom" of Israel pulling out of Gaza.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
Japan unveiled a plan on Thursday to evacuate around 120,000 residents and tourists from its southern islets near Taiwan within six days in the event of an “emergency”. The plan was put together as “the security situation surrounding our nation grows severe” and with an “emergency” in mind, the government’s crisis management office said. Exactly what that emergency might be was left unspecified in the plan but it envisages the evacuation of around 120,000 people in five Japanese islets close to Taiwan. China claims Taiwan as part of its territory and has stepped up military pressure in recent years, including
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but