Britain will announce next week that it is sending up to 3,000 more troops to Iraq in an attempt to restore order before next month's handover of power to an interim Iraqi government, The Times reported yesterday.
British Prime Minister Tony Blair will argue that the reinforcements are part of an exit strategy, which focuses on accelerating the training of Iraqi military to take over on June 30, the newspaper said.
"The force of Royal Marines and an armored infantry battle group will be sent to an area of volatile southern Iraq recently vacated by Spanish troops," it said.
The area includes the holy city of Najaf, where radical cleric Moqtada al-Sadr has been holed up for more than a month with his militia in defiance of US-led forces.
The Times said armed forces' chiefs would finalize reinforcement plans this week, with an announcement to follow next week. Britain currently has 7,900 troops occupying southern Iraq, with headquarters in Basra.
Blair, speaking on Monday in Ankara, said British troops would stay in Iraq until "the job is done" and insisted he would not bow to criticism over the US-led coalition's handling of the situation there.
Foreign Secretary Jack Straw, when asked about Iraq reinforcements in a BBC interview yesterday, responded with the stock government reply.
"There have been discussions about additional troop numbers," he said.
"When and if a final decision is made in respect to further troop numbers, then the secretary of state for defense, Geoff Hoon, will make that announcement to the House of Commons," he said.
The Pentagon announced on Monday that the US will withdraw some 3,600 troops from South Korea for up to a year's combat duty in Iraq, the first reduction in US force levels on the Korean peninsula since the early 1990s.
The worsening security situation in Iraq was highlighted on Monday by the the death of the head of the US-appointed Iraqi Governing Council, Ezzedine Salim, in a Baghdad car bomb suicide attack.
The Times' report was the third so far this month about an impending rise in British troop numbers.
On May 6, the Sun newspaper said that Britain would send 800 Royal Marine commandos, among other troops, back to Iraq to replace Spanish forces being withdrawn from the country.
It said that 40 commandos of the Royal Marines, one of the British units that took part in the US-led invasion of Iraq in March last year, would spearhead reinforcements that will also include a unit of the elite Special Boat Service.
It added that the troops would be tasked with regaining control of the city of Najaf, south of Baghdad, where militia loyal to the wanted Shiite cleric, Sadr, have clashed with coalition forces.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
Japan unveiled a plan on Thursday to evacuate around 120,000 residents and tourists from its southern islets near Taiwan within six days in the event of an “emergency”. The plan was put together as “the security situation surrounding our nation grows severe” and with an “emergency” in mind, the government’s crisis management office said. Exactly what that emergency might be was left unspecified in the plan but it envisages the evacuation of around 120,000 people in five Japanese islets close to Taiwan. China claims Taiwan as part of its territory and has stepped up military pressure in recent years, including
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but