More than 800 heavily armed troops arrived in Thailand's Muslim south yesterday, where authorities are on full alert for possible suicide attacks after a bloody uprising last week, officials said.
The soldiers, mostly veterans of a peacekeeping mission in East Timor, will join a stepped-up security effort in the region after clashes killed 108 militants and five security men last Wednesday.
PHOTO: AFP
Police suspect the next wave of violence in the restive south could involve suicide bomb attacks.
"We have sent out warnings to security agencies in the region to be on alert and vigilant against possible suicide bombs after the Wednesday incidents," a police general told reporters.
More than 100 machete-wielding, suspected Muslim militants were shot dead during dawn attacks last week on security posts aimed at seizing weapons. Three policemen and two soldiers were also killed.
It was the latest and most serious incident since a Muslim separatist movement, dormant for the past two decades, flared up in January when raiders attacked an army depot and stole hundreds of automatic rifles and other weapons.
Violence persisted overnight when suspected militants fired three rounds of M-79 rockets into a security post in Yala province near the Malaysian border.
No one was injured in the Sunday attack, but a soldier was wounded when his patrol was ambushed in pursuit of the attackers.
About the same time, another group of suspected militants torched a remote local government office in Yala, one of three provinces under martial law, police said.
The army battalion, armed with M-16 rifles and grenade launchers, will guard schools -- targets for militants as symbols of government authority -- that are due to reopen on May 17.
"We are here to protect our motherland, to provide security to teachers and our sovereignty," said Lieutenant General Pisan Wattanawongkeeree, commander of the Southern Army Region, in addressing troops at the Pattani city railway station.
Another battalion is due to arrive in the south later this week, for a total of eight battalions deployed in the south since the troubles began four months ago.
Unlike the movements of previous decades, the new generation of militants in southern Thailand do not have public leaders or written manifestos and are generally not guerrillas in fatigues fighting in the jungle, officials in the south said.
One of the missions of the arriving battalions is to mingle among the local population in civilian clothes and sniff out signs of trouble, Pisan said over the weekend.
Since the January raid, the government has issued conflicting statements about the latest chapter of a conflict that dates back centuries, when the kingdom of Pattani ruled the south and parts of present-day northern Malaysia.
Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra said yesterday investigators were making progress on who was behind last week's attacks.
"Our questioning of captured Muslims shows that some people have abused the religious issue, hiring people for only 300 baht each to use machetes to kill people with the promise that doing so would help them to see God," Thaksin said.
Thai officials said in March militants behind the renewed violence had taken refuge in Malaysia.
Malaysian Prime Minister Abdullah Ahmad Badawi said on Friday his country was willing to offer refuge to Thais fleeing the trouble.
Apparently referring to Abdullah's offer, Thaksin said on Saturday some other countries were trying to interfere in Thailand's internal affairs, though he did not identify them.
Malaysian Deputy Prime Minister and Defense Minister Najib Razak and Foreign Minister Syed Hamid Albar will visit Bangkok today.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but
JOINT EFFORTS: The three countries have been strengthening an alliance and pressing efforts to bolster deterrence against Beijing’s assertiveness in the South China Sea The US, Japan and the Philippines on Friday staged joint naval drills to boost crisis readiness off a disputed South China Sea shoal as a Chinese military ship kept watch from a distance. The Chinese frigate attempted to get closer to the waters, where the warships and aircraft from the three allied countries were undertaking maneuvers off the Scarborough Shoal — also known as Huangyan Island (黃岩島) and claimed by Taiwan and China — in an unsettling moment but it was warned by a Philippine frigate by radio and kept away. “There was a time when they attempted to maneuver