Pakistan has released 78 Pakistani and Afghan tribesmen arrested during a recent counterterrorism operation near the Afghan border, and has extended a deadline for suspected fugitives to surrender.
Local official Hamayun Khan said the 78 men had been freed on Saturday by the army in the northwestern city of Peshawar after investigators declared them innocent, allowing them to return to their homes in South Waziristan.
PHOTO: AP
In all, 141 of the 163 Pakistani and foreign suspects captured during the March 16 to March18 operation have been released. It was Pakistan's biggest offensive since it joined the US-led war on terrorism in late 2001. The operation, which left more than 120 people dead, ended when tribal elders sought time to negotiate a deal between militants and the army.
A week ago, five powerful tribesmen accused of harboring al-Qaeda men accepted an amnesty offer, promising to live peacefully and not help foreign terrorists.
As part of the deal, the army promised to release all prisoners proved innocent. It has not identified any of the detainees, but none are believed to be senior al-Qaeda or Taliban figures.
The regional army chief set last Friday as a deadline for the hundreds of foreign militants who'd escaped arrest to surrender, saying that if they pledged to stay out of trouble, and were vouched for by the local tribe, they'd be allowed to stay in South Waziristan.
The interior minister has said the amnesty is open to all foreigners there -- except Taliban and al-Qaeda leaders.
By Friday, no foreigners had come forward, raising fears of renewed bloodshed. On Saturday, however, army spokesman Major General Shaukat Sultan said authorities had agreed to a weeklong extension in the amnesty offer. He said local tribal elders had approached the government, seeking more time to convince foreigners to lay down arms and register themselves with the authorities.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but
JOINT EFFORTS: The three countries have been strengthening an alliance and pressing efforts to bolster deterrence against Beijing’s assertiveness in the South China Sea The US, Japan and the Philippines on Friday staged joint naval drills to boost crisis readiness off a disputed South China Sea shoal as a Chinese military ship kept watch from a distance. The Chinese frigate attempted to get closer to the waters, where the warships and aircraft from the three allied countries were undertaking maneuvers off the Scarborough Shoal — also known as Huangyan Island (黃岩島) and claimed by Taiwan and China — in an unsettling moment but it was warned by a Philippine frigate by radio and kept away. “There was a time when they attempted to maneuver