Dozens of North Korean children who were badly burned or hit by debris during last week's train explosion are dying in pain because the ill-equipped hospital where they are being treated has been overwhelmed by casualties, it emerged on Sunday.
After the first visit by outsiders since the blast on Thursday, one international aid worker said the harrowing scenes inside the Sinuju hospital were among the worst he had seen in 20 years of humanitarian work.
PHOTO: AFP
The North Korean government said 161 people were killed in the disaster, which it blamed on human error. According to the state media, cargo wagons filled with oil and chemicals exploded when workers snagged the cars on power lines in a shunting yard.
Visitors to the Sinuju hospital were told the death toll is likely to rise because doctors lack medicines and the specialized equipment needed to treat burn patients.
Of the 360 people taken in for treatment, 15 have already died and 50 others are said to be in a critical condition. More than half of the victims are infants from a primary school that was devastated when the blast ripped through the town of Ryongchon.
"We saw about 40 of the wounded, most of whom were children with blast injuries," said Masood Hyder, the UN humanitarian coordinator in North Korea. "Basically, anyone who was looking in the direction of the explosion got [it] in the face."
Among the wounded were an 11-year-old boy, whose face had been ripped off, four children who had lost their sight and a comatose eight-year-old boy.
Even at the best of times, North Korea's dilapidated health system is unable to cope with normally treatable illnesses. After 10 years of famine, economic decline and government policies that devote all available resources to the military, most hospitals lack heating, running water, medicine, surgical tools and sterilizing equipment.
Aid workers said doctors in Sinuju hospital were over-run, the drips were antiquated and beds were in such short supply that injured children were having to lie on filing cabinets.
"It was one of the worst sights I have ever seen," said Richard Ragan, country director for the World Food Program. "You could hear the screams of children and it made you wonder whether there were any painkillers. The doctors are doing a heroic job, but they are overworked and under-resourced."
International aid is on its way. The World Food Program has provided food for the victims and the homeless; the Red Cross has distributed medicine, tents and blankets, and yesterday, the first convoy of about eight Chinese trucks drove across the border with instant noodles, bottles of mineral water and other relief supplies.
Japan, which has yet to establish diplomatic relations with Pyongyang, is said to have offered US$100,000 of emergency aid.
But visitors to the Sinuju hospital said specialized treatment would be needed to help the many people who have been blinded or badly burned.
"My sense is that they need supplies and technical expertise and they need it quickly," Ragan said.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
Japan unveiled a plan on Thursday to evacuate around 120,000 residents and tourists from its southern islets near Taiwan within six days in the event of an “emergency”. The plan was put together as “the security situation surrounding our nation grows severe” and with an “emergency” in mind, the government’s crisis management office said. Exactly what that emergency might be was left unspecified in the plan but it envisages the evacuation of around 120,000 people in five Japanese islets close to Taiwan. China claims Taiwan as part of its territory and has stepped up military pressure in recent years, including
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but