After 40 years of false starts, the international community thought it had the perfect formula for a Cyprus settlement, but the tight timetable and imposed compromises have prompted a backlash from an unexpected quarter.
Opinion polls suggest a referendum today on a hard-fought UN plan to reunify the island as a loose confederation in time for EU accession next week will be lost among Greek Cypriots, whose support foreign mediators had long taken for granted.
PHOTO: EPA
For the best part of two decades, it had been the Turkish Cypriot leader -- veteran nationalist Rauf Denktash -- who angered the international community by blocking any settlement.
Denktash still opposes the UN plan, but opinion polls in his Turkish-protected breakaway state suggest he has lost the support of his own people, who are poised to embrace the blueprint in a bid to join the European club and end years of pariah status.
By contrast, Greek Cypriots look set to follow the urging of their nationalist president Tassos Papadopoulos and vote down the plan, despite warnings from the international community that they would never be offered a better deal.
Nothing can now stop the Greek Cypriots being admitted to the EU on May 1 -- their leaders have formed the island's internationally recognized government ever since the UN first deployed peacekeepers here following communal disturbances in 1963 and 1964.
But to the barely concealed irritation of the EU, it looks almost certain to be a truncated island that is admitted, with the bloc forced to cold-shoulder the Turkish Cypriots despite their conversion to the cause of reconciliation.
A poll carried out for the state-owned Cyprus Broadcasting Corporation this week found 54 percent of Greek Cypriots said they would definitely say no to the UN plan and another 12 percent said they would probably do so.
Definite and probable support combined amounted to a paltry 18 percent.
With the gap in the polls so stark, the fading hopes of peace supporters have come to rest on a silent groundswell of support undetected by the pollsters.
But University of Cyprus political analyst Christoforos Christoforou dismissed such hopes, despite the prevailing climate of sometimes intimidatory nationalism which has largely drowned out the yes campaign.
"Of course, the nos may be over-represented in the polls for those reasons, but the margin is just too big for that sort of factor to affect the final outcome," he said. "All this outside pressure has just been counterproductive. It was always going to spark a backlash."
Ironically, it was the Greek Cypriot president who first appealed to the international community to have one last go at brokering a settlement late last year.
But when the UN and the EU eventually came up with a final blueprint, he rejected it in an emotional address to the nation in which he accused the foreign mediators of seeking to foist it on the majority community.
"It appears there is an attempt to influence the vote of the people of Cyprus," charged government spokesman Kypros Chrysostomides, after a raft of EU officials accused Papadopoulos of "cheating" them with his about-face on a settlement.
"We have said that any pressure or blackmail will not be accepted by the Greek Cypriot people," said Andros Kyprianou, spokesman for the communist AKEL, Cyprus' largest party.
Greek Cypriot nationalists from both left and right have always had a strong sense of antagonism toward what they perceive as meddling, particularly by the West.
But the sheer ferocity of the backlash from a community which for so long championed a UN settlement has shocked even its longstanding friends.
"There is nothing unusual about people resenting being told what to do by foreigners," one diplomat said. "What is unusual is to keep relevant information away from the public ... and it should be relevant that people whose help they have asked for for the past 30 years think it's a balanced plan which deserves their support."
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but
JOINT EFFORTS: The three countries have been strengthening an alliance and pressing efforts to bolster deterrence against Beijing’s assertiveness in the South China Sea The US, Japan and the Philippines on Friday staged joint naval drills to boost crisis readiness off a disputed South China Sea shoal as a Chinese military ship kept watch from a distance. The Chinese frigate attempted to get closer to the waters, where the warships and aircraft from the three allied countries were undertaking maneuvers off the Scarborough Shoal — also known as Huangyan Island (黃岩島) and claimed by Taiwan and China — in an unsettling moment but it was warned by a Philippine frigate by radio and kept away. “There was a time when they attempted to maneuver