Sudanese forces are raping non-Arab women and girls, bombing civilians and committing other atrocities in what may amount to "crimes against humanity" in western Darfur province, according to a preliminary UN report.
The report, by a UN team of experts who visited some of the estimated 110,000 Sudanese refugees in Chad earlier this month, was obtained Wednesday by reporters.
PHOTO: AP
"The mission was able to identify disturbing patterns of massive human rights violations in Darfur, many of which may constitute war crimes and/or crimes against humanity," it said.
The government has denied that it is responsible for any atrocities.
The report, which said the atrocities against Africans were being committed by government forces and by Arab militias, was to be presented to the 53-nation UN Human Rights Commission in time for it to be considered before the current six-week session ends today.
But it was held up after the Sudanese government said Monday that it would allow a visit by UN experts to check on the situation in Darfur. That visit, which was intended to verify accounts of the atrocities, was supposed to have taken place parallel to the visit to Chad, but the Sudanese government delayed granting permission.
The team left Geneva for the Sudanese capital of Khartoum on Tuesday and hoped to go to Darfur yesterday. Human rights groups said they were suspicious that the government had delayed granting permission to keep the report from coming before the commission this year.
"Denying the United Nations access is one of the delaying tactics the Sudanese government is using to pull the wool over the eyes of the international community," said Joanna Weschler of Human Rights Watch.
UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan told the commission earlier this month that he had "a deep sense of foreboding" after hearing initial reports from UN officials and human rights groups that Arab militia groups, reportedly with government backing, were engaged in "ethnic cleansing" against Africans in Darfur province.
The report from the team that went to Chad said the Sudanese government is campaigning to put down a rebellion in a conflict that has intensified since early last year. The rebels have been demanding the government do more for the large, poverty-stricken area.
"There was a remarkable consistency in the witness testimony received by the mission in all places visited and in discussions with refugees who had entered Chad both many months ago and also very recently," the report said.
It said many witnesses said the government was using aircraft to attack villages and towns and that government forces or so-called Janjaweed militias followed up with land attacks.
"Janjaweed were invariably said to use horses and camels, while government soldiers were described as traveling in military vehicles," it said.
It said the attacks often destroyed crops and property, but that there were also frequent reports of killings.
And, it said, "a policy of using rape and other serious forms of sexual violence as a weapon of war seems to exist."
"There are consistent reports amongst refugee women from various locations that `men in uniform' raped and abused women and young girls."
Rape was often committed by more than one man, sometimes in front of the victim's family, it said.
The effect was to cause hundreds of thousands of people to flee their homes, it said. It said that, besides the refugees already in Chad, 700,000 people were believed to be homeless in Darfur as a result of the campaign.
The report was obtained as officials from the Sudanese government and two rebel groups met in Chad to discuss a peaceful end to a rebellion.
A 45-day cease-fire was signed April 8 to allow UN and humanitarian agencies access to the region, but so far the government has allowed only a handful of aid workers into.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but
JOINT EFFORTS: The three countries have been strengthening an alliance and pressing efforts to bolster deterrence against Beijing’s assertiveness in the South China Sea The US, Japan and the Philippines on Friday staged joint naval drills to boost crisis readiness off a disputed South China Sea shoal as a Chinese military ship kept watch from a distance. The Chinese frigate attempted to get closer to the waters, where the warships and aircraft from the three allied countries were undertaking maneuvers off the Scarborough Shoal — also known as Huangyan Island (黃岩島) and claimed by Taiwan and China — in an unsettling moment but it was warned by a Philippine frigate by radio and kept away. “There was a time when they attempted to maneuver