The US ordered nonessential diplomats out of Saudi Arabia on Thursday and warned all Americans they should leave, citing fresh signals that attacks are planned on US and Western interests.
The decision requires the families of all diplomats at the US Embassy in Riyadh and consulates in Jeddah and Dhahran to leave the kingdom, which is battling a wave of violence believed linked to Osama bin Laden's al-Qaeda network.
At least 50 people died last year in suicide bomb attacks on housing compounds in Riyadh. On Tuesday, suspected Muslim militants killed four Saudi police officers at checkpoints soon after security forces defused two car bombs in the capital.
"The US government has received recent and credible information indicating that extremists are planning further attacks against US and Western interests," the State Department said in a travel warning.
"The Department of State warns US citizens to defer travel to Saudi Arabia. Private American citizens currently in Saudi Arabia are strongly urged to depart," the warning said.
"We are concerned. The threat level has gone up," US Secretary of State Colin Powell said.
Washington has repeatedly moved to reduce its diplomatic presence in Saudi Arabia, the world's biggest oil exporter, and has then allowed diplomats and family members back in response to the ebb and flow of threats over the past year.
On Feb. 20, the US announced it had allowed all workers and family members to return to the kingdom. On Thursday, the State Department repeated past warnings that residential compounds in Riyadh and the rest of the country continue to be targeted.
A US intelligence official said the latest move was unrelated to the broadcast of an audiotape purportedly by Saudi-born bin Laden offering a truce to Europeans if they withdrew troops from Muslim nations, but vowing to continue fighting the US and Israel.
The State Department's expected decision is connected to "terrorist threats in Saudi [Arabia].
Potential attacks against [Western] diplomatic compounds. Car bombs, truck bombs," the official said on condition of anonymity.
In a "warden message" sent to US citizens in Saudi Arabia on Tuesday, the embassy also cited continued threats to diplomatic facilities and housing compounds in the Saudi capital and urged Americans to be vigilant.
The US-Saudi alliance, built on the twin pillars of security and oil, has been strained since Sept. 11, 2001, when attacks on New York and Washington were carried out by al-Qaeda. Most of the hijackers were Saudis.
US officials initially complained they were not getting enough cooperation from Riyadh on fighting al-Qaeda, but they say Saudi efforts have increased dramatically since car bombs on May 12 ripped apart three Riyadh housing compounds and killed 35 people.
Eight Americans were among those killed in the attacks.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
Japan unveiled a plan on Thursday to evacuate around 120,000 residents and tourists from its southern islets near Taiwan within six days in the event of an “emergency”. The plan was put together as “the security situation surrounding our nation grows severe” and with an “emergency” in mind, the government’s crisis management office said. Exactly what that emergency might be was left unspecified in the plan but it envisages the evacuation of around 120,000 people in five Japanese islets close to Taiwan. China claims Taiwan as part of its territory and has stepped up military pressure in recent years, including
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but