As the US suspended aid to Serbia and Montenegro for not cooperating with a war-crimes tribunal, NATO troops raided a church and rectory in search of former Bosnian Serb leader Radovan Karadzic but failed to find the world's most sought after war-crimes suspect.
A priest known as a Karadzic supporter was wounded in the Thursday raid, as was his son. The two were in critical condition with fractures and head wounds, said Amra Odobasic, a spokeswoman for the Tuzla Clinical Center.
Outraged at the action, 3,000 people protested outside the church, carrying banners reading: "Nobody will arrest a Serb." They lit candles and prayed for the two men wounded in the sweep. Many wrapped themselves in Serbia's flag.
PHOTO: EPA
Canadian Captain Dave Sullivan, a spokesman for Bosnia's NATO-led peacekeepers, said the two -- identified as Jeremija Starovlah, 52, and his son Aleksandar, 28 -- were wounded by small explosives used for opening doors during raids.
Starovlah had told a newspaper last week that it was the duty of every Serb cleric to help Karadzic evade arrest and prosecution before the UN war-crimes tribunal.
Sullivan confirmed that the pre-dawn sweep was an attempt to capture Karadzic, indicted by the UN tribunal in The Hague on suspicion of war crimes. Pale was Karadzic's headquarters during the Bosnian war -- Europe's worst bloodshed since World War II. His wife and daughter still live there.
"This operation forms part of a sustained campaign against persons indicted for war crimes," Sullivan said. "They can run, but they can't hide."
In the raid, British peacekeepers backed by local police sealed off the area surrounding the church and rectory, and bursts of machine-gun fire were heard along with an explosion. The raid shattered windows and left a hole at the entrance of the church.
NATO has tried unsuccessfully several times to arrest Karadzic, believed to be on the run inside the Bosnian Serb half of Bosnia.
The indictment against Karadzic and Ratko Mladic, his fugitive wartime general, accuses them of being "criminally responsible for the unlawful confinement, murder, rape, sexual assault, torture, beating, robbery and inhumane treatment of civilians."
Among actions the two are accused of masterminding is the massacre of up to 8,000 Muslims in Srebrenica, Europe's worst slaughter of civilians since World War II.
AID STOPPED
The US temporarily suspended at least US$26 million in aid to Serbia and Montenegro because of inadequate cooperation with the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia, US officials said on Wednesday.
US Secretary of State Colin Powell determined he could not certify Belgrade was cooperating with the tribunal, which tries people accused of war crimes in the Balkan wars of the 1990s.
Under US law, his decision automatically triggered the suspension of US aid to Belgrade, in what appeared to be a symbolic blow to the government of Prime Minister Vojislav Kostunica, a longtime critic of the UN tribunal.
The US has long demanded that Belgrade cooperate fully with the tribunal, including by arresting and handing over fugitive former Bosnian Serb army commander General Ratko Mladic and Bosnian Serb political leader Radovan Karadzic.
US officials stress that Powell could certify Belgrade is cooperating at any time, thereby releasing any suspended aid.
US State Department deputy spokesman Adam Ereli said that about US$43 million of the US$100 million in aid allocated to Belgrade this year had already been spent, leaving about US$57 million that could be subject to the suspension.
However, he said that US aid for humanitarian purposes, for Kosovo and for the promotion of democracy were all exempt from the suspension.
A State Department official who asked not to be named said at least US$26 million would be suspended, but that the figure could increase depending on how much of the remaining US$30 million is exempt.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but
JOINT EFFORTS: The three countries have been strengthening an alliance and pressing efforts to bolster deterrence against Beijing’s assertiveness in the South China Sea The US, Japan and the Philippines on Friday staged joint naval drills to boost crisis readiness off a disputed South China Sea shoal as a Chinese military ship kept watch from a distance. The Chinese frigate attempted to get closer to the waters, where the warships and aircraft from the three allied countries were undertaking maneuvers off the Scarborough Shoal — also known as Huangyan Island (黃岩島) and claimed by Taiwan and China — in an unsettling moment but it was warned by a Philippine frigate by radio and kept away. “There was a time when they attempted to maneuver