Immigration officials grilled British cavers for more than eight hours Friday and inspected their computers before electing to hand them over to federal police, but reported no evidence the group had been doing more than exploring caverns.
In an usually high-level dispute over a visa case, Mexican President Vicente Fox earlier in the day said he was not satisfied with Britain's explanation of what the military-linked caving team had been doing in Mexico.
Academics from Mexico's National University examined the group's equipment, backpacks and computers, said assistant Interior Secretary Armando Salinas.
"They did not find any equipment or information on those computers other than that used for cave exploration," Salinas said.
While Mexican news media suggested the British had been hunting for uranium, the federal Energy Department released a statement late Friday night saying the level of radioactivity in the cavern system the team was exploring was normal and that "no scientific reason exists to believe the zone is rich in radioactive materials."
Even so, federal police were given a chance to question the men on the uranium allegations.
Under Mexican law, immigration authorities often turn suspects over to other agencies for questioning before they are deported or allowed to go free.
If federal prosecutors determine that the men should not be charged, immigration officials would still have to decide whether they violated the terms of their tourist visas, in which case they could be punished by deportation, prohibited from returning to Mexico for several years -- or face fines of up to 3,000 pesos (US$270) or spend 18 months in jail, Salinas said.
Traveling in Nicaragua, Fox said his government had asked Britain for "clear information about what they were doing."
London's response was "frankly, unsatisfactory," the president said.
"We want more clarity about what this affair is about," Fox said.
One state official vowed to keep tighter tabs on foreigners entering under tourist visas, though his state promotes cave tourism.
British and Mexican divers helped the six trapped but unharmed cavers out of the Alpazat caverns, 175km northwest of Mexico City on Thursday, but the controversy over what they were doing underground continued to burn.
Mexican newspapers suggested the cavers were doing more than just exploring, noting they were carrying gas-sensing equipment that might detect uranium. Local cavers said the devices were meant to avoid toxic radioactive gases.
The group also was mapping the caves -- as speleologists normally do -- suggesting they were involved in scientific research.
Organized crime prosecutor Jose Luis Santiago Vasconcelos said federal police were investigating the uranium claim, but said, "We have no evidence, at this moment, of any illegal activity."
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but
The US government has banned US government personnel in China, as well as family members and contractors with security clearances, from any romantic or sexual relationships with Chinese citizens, The Associated Press (AP) has learned. Four people with direct knowledge of the matter told the AP about the policy, which was put into effect by departing US ambassador Nicholas Burns in January shortly before he left China. The people would speak only on condition of anonymity to discuss details of a confidential directive. Although some US agencies already had strict rules on such relationships, a blanket “nonfraternization” policy, as it is known, has
OPTIONS: Asked if one potential avenue to a third term was having J.D. Vance run for the top job and then pass the baton to him, Trump said: ‘That’s one,’ among others US President Donald Trump on Sunday that “I’m not joking” about trying to serve a third term, the clearest indication he is considering ways to breach a constitutional barrier against continuing to lead the country after his second term ends at the beginning of 2029. “There are methods which you could do it,” Trump said in a telephone interview with NBC News from Mar-a-Lago, his private club. He elaborated later to reporters on Air Force One from Florida to Washington that “I have had more people ask me to have a third term, which in a way is a fourth term