Zimbabwe is finalizing charges against more than 60 suspected mercenaries detained this week in what officials say was a plot to overthrow the government of oil-rich Equatorial Guinea, prosecutors said on Thursday.
Acting Attorney General Bharat Patel said the men would probably not appear in court until yesterday and that "the relevant law enforcement agencies" were drawing up charges.
"They are not going to appear in court today, as far as I'm aware ... The likelihood is that they'll appear in court tomorrow, if not tomorrow then soon thereafter," Patel told state radio.
Zimbabwean lawyer Jonathan Samkange said he had been hired by a firm of South African attorneys to represent the suspects, and would be meeting his clients on Friday.
"I have already talked to the police ... and I will be going to see my clients tomorrow to take instructions. I have been assured the suspects are going to enjoy their constitutional rights to fair treatment and a fair hearing," Samkange said.
Patel said charges against the group were likely to include contravening the Civil Aviation Act and that "there may also be other charges relating to the Firearms Act, possibly also in relation to our immigration laws."
Zimbabwe's foreign minister said on Wednesday the men, who were arrested on Sunday after the US-registered Boeing 727 landed in Harare, could face a possible death penalty, although none of the charges listed by Patel would bring that sentence.
Officials said the men had implicated the British, American and Spanish spy agencies in a plot to topple President Teodoro Obiang Nguema Mbasogo of Equatorial Guinea, sub-Saharan Africa's third largest oil producer.
US and Spanish officials have denied any involvement, while Britain's Foreign Office declined comment.
The seized plane's operator, based in Britain's Channel Islands, has said it was flying the men to the Democratic Republic of Congo to provide security for mining operations.
Zimbabwe has identified the men, who are both black and white, as coming from South Africa, Angola, Namibia, the Democratic Republic of Congo and one from Zimbabwe.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
Japan unveiled a plan on Thursday to evacuate around 120,000 residents and tourists from its southern islets near Taiwan within six days in the event of an “emergency”. The plan was put together as “the security situation surrounding our nation grows severe” and with an “emergency” in mind, the government’s crisis management office said. Exactly what that emergency might be was left unspecified in the plan but it envisages the evacuation of around 120,000 people in five Japanese islets close to Taiwan. China claims Taiwan as part of its territory and has stepped up military pressure in recent years, including
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but