A deadly attack on Pakistan's Shiite Muslims was aimed at persuading President Pervez Musharraf to soften his crackdown on extremist Islamic groups and weaken his support for the US, analysts said.
Suicide attackers killed 44 Shiites with guns and grenades and then blew themselves up on Tuesday in the southwestern city of Quetta near the Afghanistan border, turning a celebration of one the holiest Shiite days into a bloodbath.
PHOTO: AFP
"The attack was specifically linked to the heightened operation against militants in the tribal areas," political analyst Nasim Zehra said.
Musharraf -- a staunch supporter of Washington's "war on terror" -- has banned extremist Islamic groups, sectarian and Kashmiri separatist organizations, and hunted down al-Qaeda sus-pects in the tribal areas bordering Afghanistan.
Pakistani forces fanned out across lawless tribal areas along the Afghan border last week and detained 20 suspects.
Analyst and commentator Ayaz Amir said that the aim of Tuesday's attack was to send a message to Musharraf's government.
"In this case, sectarianism is a form of anti-government protest," he said. "When you want unrest in Pakistan, you are putting pressure on the government."
Two assassination attempts against Musharraf last December linked to radical Islamic fighters angered by his policies have underlined the scale of the challenge militants pose.
The Quetta attack, blamed on majority Sunni Muslims, was the worst of its kind in Pakistan since last July's suicide attack on a Shiite mosque in the same city killed 57 people and coincided with a series of bomb blasts in the Iraqi cities of Kerbala and Baghdad that killed at least 169 worshippers.
Pakistani analysts said the attacks were unlikely to be directly connected but did appear to have a similar purpose.
"One link is there, and that is to create unrest and anarchy in both countries," Amir said.
But British Foreign Secretary Jack Straw said the attacks were clearly linked.
AL-QAEDA INVOLVEMENT QUESTIONED
The US-appointed Governing Council in Iraq has blamed the violence there on a suspected member of the militantly Sunni al-Qaeda network.
Al-Qaeda chief Osama bin Laden is believed to be a target of the coordinated Pakistani and US operations along the Afghan-Pakistan frontier close to Quetta. Washington says the Saudi born bin Laden was behind the Sept. 11, 2001 suicide hijack attacks which killed nearly 3,000 people.
Analysts say al-Qaeda might not be directly involved in the Quetta attack, but Sunni extremist groups are ideologically close to the group and its Taliban allies, whose rule over Afghanistan was ended by a US-led alliance in 2001.
"The sectarian extremists who are against Shiites follow the same interpretation of Islam which is followed by al-Qaeda and the Taliban," said Mehdi Hasan, a Pakistan political commentator.
The banned Sunni sectarian group Lashkar-e-Jhangvi, known to have links to al-Qaeda, was initially blamed for the attack.
Last September, Pakistani police named the suspected mastermind of the July Quetta attack as a relative of an al-Qaeda member convicted of a 1993 bombing at New York's World Trade Center.
Pakistan has arrested hundreds of al-Qaeda and Taliban militants in the last two-and-a-half years and banned extremist groups, including some involved in violence in Indian Kashmir.
Most of the outlawed militant groups are Sunni Muslims. Shiites make up some 15 percent of the overwhelmingly Sunni Pakistan, which has a population of around 150 million.
`Soft targets'
Analysts said the assailants in Pakistan and Iraq hit "soft targets," striking on a day when Shiites were celebrating "Ashura" or the 10th day of a holy period known as Muharram.
During Ashura Shiites take to the streets beating their chests and flogging themselves with steel flails in memory of Hussein, the grandson of Prophet Mohammad, killed and beheaded in Iraq some 1,300 years ago.
"Muharram processions are extremely vulnerable targets," Zehra said.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but
JOINT EFFORTS: The three countries have been strengthening an alliance and pressing efforts to bolster deterrence against Beijing’s assertiveness in the South China Sea The US, Japan and the Philippines on Friday staged joint naval drills to boost crisis readiness off a disputed South China Sea shoal as a Chinese military ship kept watch from a distance. The Chinese frigate attempted to get closer to the waters, where the warships and aircraft from the three allied countries were undertaking maneuvers off the Scarborough Shoal — also known as Huangyan Island (黃岩島) and claimed by Taiwan and China — in an unsettling moment but it was warned by a Philippine frigate by radio and kept away. “There was a time when they attempted to maneuver