Police will vote this week on a proposal to boycott an Aboriginal ghetto where a violent race riot broke out last week, leaving 40 officers injured, a news report said yesterday.
The Sydney tabloid The Sun-Herald said police are thinking about declaring the slum, known as "The Block," a no-go zone to protest an alleged lack of support from senior officers and lawmakers in the aftermath of the violence.
The Feb. 15-16 riot was triggered by the death of a 17-year-old Aborigine, Thomas Hickey, who was impaled on a fence after falling from his bicycle. His family claimed he was being chased by police, but police have denied any involvement.
Officers were feeling abandoned and were disappointed with the state government's response to the violence, the newspaper quoted Sergeant Paul Huxtable, executive officer of the police force's labor union, as saying.
But New South Wales state Police Minister John Watkins was quick to deny that he had ignored the officers' plight.
Watkins said his support was "unequivocal" for police in the troubled Redfern suburb, where The Block is located.
Officers "are dealing with tough and dangerous conditions in Redfern, and they are putting offenders before the courts," Watkins said in a statement.
Police didn't immediately return calls seeking confirmation that they plan to vote on boycotting The Block, a garbage-strewn grid of derelict houses rife with heroin dealers, petty criminals and alcoholics.
In the northwest New South Wales town of Walgett, where Hickey was from, police are preparing for his funeral tomorrow.
The town will have four extra Aboriginal community liaison officers and several extra police from surrounding towns working tomorrow, Police Inspector David Simmons said.
Hickey's father, Ian West, is currently in prison. Authorities have said it's unlikely he will be allowed to attend his son's funeral.
It wasn't immediately clear what West was jailed for. An aunt of Hickey's has also been prevented from attending, after a magistrate on Friday ordered her detained on charges she was involved in the riot.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
Japan unveiled a plan on Thursday to evacuate around 120,000 residents and tourists from its southern islets near Taiwan within six days in the event of an “emergency”. The plan was put together as “the security situation surrounding our nation grows severe” and with an “emergency” in mind, the government’s crisis management office said. Exactly what that emergency might be was left unspecified in the plan but it envisages the evacuation of around 120,000 people in five Japanese islets close to Taiwan. China claims Taiwan as part of its territory and has stepped up military pressure in recent years, including
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but