The Israeli government said on Thursday it would boycott a hearing at the international court of justice (ICJ) at The Hague on the legality of the "security fence" under construction in the occupied Palestinian territories.
The prime minister's office said that Ariel Sharon and an inner core of Cabinet ministers made the decision after legal advisers said there was no point in fighting the case because the government had already submitted written arguments challenging the court's jurisdiction in a "political" case.
PHOTO: AFP
The submission said that the court "has no authority to discuss the terrorism prevention fence since it concerns Israel's basic right of self-defence."
"The professional teams made their recommendations after considering the positions of major countries, including ... the US, UK, Germany, Canada and Australia."
Earlier this month, the US and the EU backed Israel's rejection of the court's right to hear the case. The court is expected to rule on whether it has jurisdiction when the hearing opens in 10 days.
The Palestinian legal team said it was withholding comment until the Israelis had formally notified the court. But an official, who declined to be named, said the boycott reflected the weakness of Israel's position.
"The bottom line is if you don't have a legal case, what's the point in going?" he said.
"It's unfortunate that other countries support Israel on the question of the jurisdiction of the ICJ. We're constantly telling Palestinians that violence doesn't pay off and here's a legal way to fight their cause. But now that avenue is closed to them, so what choices does it leave?" he said.
Yesterday's decision was expected, even though the Cabinet was divided. The justice minister, Yosef Lapid, argued that there was still a public relations battle to be won by vigorously presenting Israel's case in court.
He had previously warned the Cabinet that the court hearing could be a first legal step towards Israel being treated as a pariah, like apartheid-era South Africa, which could include international boycotts. But the Israeli government is counting on the US to veto any attempt to use a court ruling to pressure the UN security council into action over the barrier.
The case was filed by the UN General Assembly, which voted in December to ask the world court to make a non-binding ruling on the legality of the steel and concrete barrier, which is expected to be up to 688km long and entirely surround the bulk of the Palestinian population.
While the Israeli government will not be in court, officials are backing efforts by the Israeli rescue service, Zaka, to put a bus destroyed by a suicide bomber on display near the court.
Hundreds of Israelis, including the families of those killed in bombings, are to fly to The Hague and demonstrate against the court hearing.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but
JOINT EFFORTS: The three countries have been strengthening an alliance and pressing efforts to bolster deterrence against Beijing’s assertiveness in the South China Sea The US, Japan and the Philippines on Friday staged joint naval drills to boost crisis readiness off a disputed South China Sea shoal as a Chinese military ship kept watch from a distance. The Chinese frigate attempted to get closer to the waters, where the warships and aircraft from the three allied countries were undertaking maneuvers off the Scarborough Shoal — also known as Huangyan Island (黃岩島) and claimed by Taiwan and China — in an unsettling moment but it was warned by a Philippine frigate by radio and kept away. “There was a time when they attempted to maneuver