Iran's embattled president admitted Saturday he had failed to reverse a move by hard-liners to disqualify thousands of candidates from forthcoming elections, as his government warned that the polls cannot go ahead and members of parliament vowed they were poised to resign.
"We have reached a deadlock with the Guardian Council," Iranian President Mohammad Khatami said, as the bitter crisis overshadowed the Islamic republic's 25th anniversary celebrations.
PHOTO: AFP
"This government will only organize free and competitive elections," he was quoted as saying by the state news agency IRNA during a wreath-laying ceremony at the mausoleum of Iran's revolutionary leader Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini.
Interior Minister Abdolvahed Mussavi-Lari said the stand-off meant it was now impossible to hold the Feb. 20 elections to the parliament, or Majlis, on schedule.
"We have reached a dead end. The government's efforts have gone nowhere," he said.
"The possibility of organizing a free and competitive election does not exist, and we do not consider this election to be legitimate," Mussavi-Lari said.
IRNA said the cabinet would hold an emergency session Saturday, but its options appeared to be running out.
Late Friday, the conservative Guardian Council, a powerful political watchdog, stood by its ban on nearly 2,500 candidates, even though supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei had ordered it to be less stringent.
The 12-member body, which screens all laws and candidates for public office, had initially barred 3,605 out of some 8,000 would-be members of parliament, prompting furious allegations that powerful hard-liners were guilty of trying to rig the polls.
Mussavi-Lari said in the new blacklist, the number of disqualified members of parliament had even risen from 83 to 87.
In addition, none of candidates who are among the reformist camp's most prominent figures have been reinstated.
"Out of the 1,160 who have been reinstated by the Guardian Council, barely a handful of them are reformists," Mohsen Armin, a prominent reformist Member of Parliament, said.
Mohammad Reza Khatami, the younger brother of the president and head of the main reformist party, the Islamic Iran Participation Front, said members of parliament had been left with the "serious intention" to walk-out from the Majlis.
Mohammad Reza Khatami is among those still on the blacklist.
In addition, all of Iran's 28 provincial heads, several vice presidents and cabinet ministers, the head of the election commission and other reformist public servants have threatened to walk out.
The interior minister said the provincial governors were "very persistent in their resignations and have ignored our appeals not to resign."
"Their deadline was at the end of last week, and as a principle the president now has to accept their resignations," Mussavi-Lari said, but added that he personally would "stay until the end."
The Guardian Council also squarely rejected a call from the pro-reform interior ministry for a postponement of the elections. Under the constitution, the interior ministry is charged with voting-day logistics and ballot counting.
"The matter of postponing the election was not accepted," Ayatollah Ahmad Janati, the head of the Guardian Council, wrote in a letter to the interior ministry that was carried by state media.
"There is no sign of insecurity, and in any case it is the duty of the interior minister to use all legal instruments to bring about security for the whole country," he wrote, arguing that even the 1980-88 Iran-Iraq war had failed to prevent elections.
Janati also asserted that the list of approved candidates would guarantee free and fair elections.
"For each seat in the Majlis there are 19 candidates," Janati argued, blasting the interior ministry for "behavior not in line with religious democracy."
The official news agency IRNA, however, has pointed out that in some areas there is only one candidate per seat -- and that the candidates are conservatives.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but
JOINT EFFORTS: The three countries have been strengthening an alliance and pressing efforts to bolster deterrence against Beijing’s assertiveness in the South China Sea The US, Japan and the Philippines on Friday staged joint naval drills to boost crisis readiness off a disputed South China Sea shoal as a Chinese military ship kept watch from a distance. The Chinese frigate attempted to get closer to the waters, where the warships and aircraft from the three allied countries were undertaking maneuvers off the Scarborough Shoal — also known as Huangyan Island (黃岩島) and claimed by Taiwan and China — in an unsettling moment but it was warned by a Philippine frigate by radio and kept away. “There was a time when they attempted to maneuver