Officials announced on Thursday they were questioning 13 state police officers about ties to drug trafficking and the murders of at least 12 people, feeding fears that police in this gritty border city take part in the crime they should be fighting.
The announcement came on the same day that investigators found a 12th body buried in the yard of a house in a middle-class Ciudad Juarez neighborhood.
PHOTO: REUTERS
A police spokesman said that authorities had been unable to clean up the force despite firing some 300 officers in the past two years. Thousands of other local, state and federal lawmen have been fired from posts nationwide.
The money from drug trafficking is "too tempting for people who are not committed to public service," Mauro Conde said. Later, in a news conference, Deputy State Attorney General Oscar Valadez called the arrests a "terrible blow to a police force that has been trying to clean up its image."
Hundreds of murders are unsolved in Ciudad Juarez, including the cases of dozens of young women who were strangled and dumped in the desert outside of town.
Conde said the 13 officers focused on drug cases and were not involved in the investigations of the slain women. But they were linked to the bodies of 12 men unearthed so far this week.
Federal Deputy Attorney General Jose Luis Santiago Vasconcelos also told W Radio in Mexico City that "some elements of the state judicial police" were involved. He said that type of people "are nothing more than delinquents disguised as public servants, at the service of the interests of drug traffickers."
Later, Vasconcelos, accompanied by a team of soldiers, toured the house where the bodies were found, but made no comment to reporters.
The man who rented the house, Alejandro Garcia, was arrested on Tuesday and told police he took part in the killings at the order of several state police officers and members of the Vicente Carrillo drug gang.
That led officials to investigate all state police officers on the night shift in Ciudad Juarez. Thirteen were taken into custody when they showed up for work on Wednesday night, and four others, including their commander, are being sought.
The commander, Miguel Angel Loya, didn't show up for work on Monday and hasn't been seen since, Conde said.
The officers were flown to Mexico City, where federal agents were questioning them about possible ties to drug trafficking and the bodies found at the house.
The discovery of the bodies led relatives of some of the dozens of other missing men to ask police for information. Late Wednesday, relatives were allowed into the morgue to try to identify the remains found at the house, some of which had been buried months before.
Lorenza Benavides, the vice president of the Association of Relatives and Friends of the Disappeared, said her organization had the names of 197 missing men.
"We have always said police officers are involved in all of these crimes," Benavides said.
"But our complaints have always fallen on deaf ears," she said.
She said they had asked federal authorities to search three more houses around Ciudad Juarez where neighbors reported hearing screams. Officials said those were among six houses for which they were seeking search warrants.
Many locals say they aren't surprised by the arrests. Luz Elena Caraveo, whose brother disappeared along with his friend a year ago, said witnesses told her that police kidnapped the two men.
"One is always afraid to talk and look [for answers] because one could easily become a target," she added.
Conde blamed violence in this city of 1.2 million on a growing drug war that has claimed dozens of lives so far this year.
"Juarez is a tough city, but it's a city where people still live," he said.
"Those who live their lives honestly don't have a reason to feel persecuted or harassed. Everybody is exposed, but the victims are usually part of organized crime," he said.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
Japan unveiled a plan on Thursday to evacuate around 120,000 residents and tourists from its southern islets near Taiwan within six days in the event of an “emergency”. The plan was put together as “the security situation surrounding our nation grows severe” and with an “emergency” in mind, the government’s crisis management office said. Exactly what that emergency might be was left unspecified in the plan but it envisages the evacuation of around 120,000 people in five Japanese islets close to Taiwan. China claims Taiwan as part of its territory and has stepped up military pressure in recent years, including
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but