Israel on Saturday announced the end of its closure of the Gaza Strip, imposed after a suicide bombing on Wednesday in which a Palestinian woman killed four Israelis at a busy crossing point into Israel.
A military statement said the lifting of the closure, ordered after a review of the security situation in the strip, meant Palestinian workers and traders could now enter Israel and an industrial zone near the Erez crossing.
PHOTO: EPA
About 15,000 Palestinian workers and another 4,000 merchants from Gaza have permits to cross the Erez checkpoint to reach jobs inside Israel. The number varies with the security situation.
US officials are pressing the Palestinians to find those behind a deadly bomb attack on a US diplomatic convoy three months ago, and warn that lack of progress may harm American aid programs in the West Bank and Gaza Strip, a Palestinian Cabinet minister said on Saturday.
A senior Palestinian security official involved in the investigation said no substantial leads have emerged.
A US Embassy official said Palestinian authorities have not fully cooperated with the probe into the Oct. 15 roadside blast that ripped apart a diplomatic car in the Gaza Strip and killed three American security guards.
Travel of US officials to the West Bank and Gaza has been suspended since the bombing, an unprecedented attack on Americans in Palestinian areas since the outbreak of fighting more than three years ago.
Palestinian Cabinet Minister Saeb Erekat said he discussed the investigation last week with US officials who told him lack of progress would hamper aid work, though they did not directly threaten to scale back assistance.
"They said they can't get to Gaza and the West Bank and this would affect their work," Erekat said.
"I urged them not to link these two issues," Erekat said, adding that he believes the Palestinians are cooperating fully in the investigation. "I don't think it's appropriate or advisable to cut aid to Gaza and the West Bank in these circumstances."
In jeopardy, Erekat said, is a key US Agency for International Development project to improve access to running water for 2 million Palestinians. USAID, which has funneled US$1.3 billion in economic and humanitarian assistance to the Palestinians over the past decade, is scheduled to award contracts next month for the water project, Erekat said.
The US Embassy official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said that "we're not entirely satisfied with Palestinian cooperation." He said there has been some progress, "but we want to see more."
He refused to comment on whether American aid would be scaled back.
The US State Department has offered a US$5 million reward for information that leads to the attackers, and teams of FBI explosives and forensics specialists have visited the site of the blast and met with Palestinian security officials.
In the days just after the bombing, Palestinian police detained seven members of a rogue militant group, the Popular Resistance Committees, and briefed the US team on the questioning of the detainees.
A high-ranking Palestinian security official said on Saturday that no new leads have emerged since then.
The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said the hunt was difficult because the assailants were professionals who meticulously planned and executed the attack before vanishing without a trace.
Still, Palestinian officials were giving the case high priority, he said.
Also Saturday, Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat met with Cyril Svoboda, foreign minister of the Czech Republic, his first high-level visitor in months.
Several European countries have promised to resume high-level contacts with Arafat, whom Israel is trying to isolate at his compound in the West Bank town of Ramallah, said Palestinian Foreign Minister Nabil Shaath after a nine-nation tour of Europe.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
Japan unveiled a plan on Thursday to evacuate around 120,000 residents and tourists from its southern islets near Taiwan within six days in the event of an “emergency”. The plan was put together as “the security situation surrounding our nation grows severe” and with an “emergency” in mind, the government’s crisis management office said. Exactly what that emergency might be was left unspecified in the plan but it envisages the evacuation of around 120,000 people in five Japanese islets close to Taiwan. China claims Taiwan as part of its territory and has stepped up military pressure in recent years, including
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but