Last year, 150 cetaceans and 269 sea turtles washed up on the nation’s shores, the Ocean Conservation Administration (OCA) said yesterday, blaming improper fishing activities for many of the injuries.
Most of the animals were dead when they washed up, the agency said.
Of the beached whales and dolphins, the bodies of 77 were severely rotted, making it difficult to determine why they became stranded, while 33 were bycatch, it said.
Photo courtesy of the Ocean Conservation Administration
Of the beached cetaceans whose species were identified, 43 were finless porpoises, followed by 30 bottlenose dolphins, 13 pygmy killer whales, 10 Fraser’s dolphins, six pygmy sperm whales, six dwarf sperm whales and six Taiwanese humpback dolphins, it added.
Of the beached turtles, 240 were green sea turtles, 13 were hawksbill sea turtles, eight were loggerhead sea turtles and eight were olive ridley sea turtles, the agency said.
Data from the agency showed that 207 sea turtles were dead when found, while 31 were bycatch and seven were entangled in discarded fishing nets.
Plastic debris was found in the feces of 24 sheltered sea turtles and the digestive systems of dozens of dead sea turtles, the agency said, drawing attention to the effects of human activities on marine life.
The number of beached cetaceans and sea turtles has been rising over the past three years, the agency said.
People becoming more active in reporting beached marine animals might have contributed to the increase, while long-term research is needed to determine the cause, OCA Marine Conservation Division senior specialist Ko Yung-chuan (柯勇全) said.
The agency last month in Taitung County documented the biggest marine animal to wash up on the nation’s shores — a 24m whale entangled in fishing nets.
It was first thought to be a fin whale, but after dissecting and analyzing the carcass, the agency on Feb. 10 announced that it was likely the first blue whale to wash up on Taiwan’s shores since records began.
The agency plans to hold a symposium on the whale in May to share its findings with experts, Ko said, adding that some Japanese researchers have expressed an interest in the issue.
A video showing the dissection has been posted online at youtu.be/IW5a8wKW0Ak.
While the agency’s Marine Animal Rescue Network, which involves dozens of non-governmental groups and research institutions, has been active for nearly a year, rescue work has been mainly supported by volunteers, including veterinarians, who are not properly paid or covered by insurance, Ko said, adding that the agency is seeking a larger budget to fund rescue efforts.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Taiwan People’s Party (TPP) Chairman Huang Kuo-chang (黃國昌) yesterday appealed to the authorities to release former Taipei mayor Ko Wen-je (柯文哲) from pretrial detention amid conflicting reports about his health. The TPP at a news conference on Thursday said that Ko should be released to a hospital for treatment, adding that he has blood in his urine and had spells of pain and nausea followed by vomiting over the past three months. Hsieh Yen-yau (謝炎堯), a retired professor of internal medicine and Ko’s former teacher, said that Ko’s symptoms aligned with gallstones, kidney inflammation and potentially dangerous heart conditions. Ko, charged with