The government must stop purchasing products from media outlets that publish propaganda from Beijing, New Power Party (NPP) Legislator Huang Kuo-chang (黃國昌) said yesterday, adding that tens of millions of New Taiwan dollars is spent by government agencies every year on pro-China media companies.
“There is no reason that taxpayer dollars should be used to fund a foreign state’s proxy in Taiwan,” Huang told a news conference at the party’s headquarters in Taipei.
Unnecessary purchases from media outlets that serve Beijing’s interests go against the government’s goal of fighting Chinese infiltration and media manipulation, he said.
Photo: Liao Chen-huei, Taipei Times
Want Want China Times Media Group — which owns the Chinese-language China Times newspaper and CtiTV — last year received more than NT$172 million (US$5.46 million) for tender bids from central and local governments, Huang said, citing statistics that he collated.
The number has been increasing since 2008, when the group earned more than NT$14 million from government bids, he said.
In addition, the central government has spent a disproportionately large amount on office purchases from Want Want, he said.
For example, 21 percent of central government agencies are subscribers to the China Times, while only 15 percent are subscribed to the Liberty Times (the Taipei Times’ sister newspaper), Huang added.
However, the China Times accounts for only 14.1 percent of the newspaper market, compared with the Liberty Times’ 42.2 percent, he said.
Although there are no laws banning purchases from media outlets biased toward Beijing, the central and local governments could at least not buy from them when they have a choice, Huang said.
The public should be more aware of media outlets that fawn on Beijing and join a march against pro-China media outlets he is to hold with Internet celebrity Holger Chen (陳之漢) in Taipei on Sunday, Huang said.
On Sunday evening, he launched a crowdfunding campaign for the march and reached the goal of NT$1.8 million in about an hour, Huang said, adding that more than 300 people have volunteered to help with the event.
He has invited political party leaders and presidential hopefuls to attend the march and so far Hon Hai Precision Industry Co chairman Terry Gou (郭台銘) and former New Taipei City mayor Eric Chu (朱立倫) have said they would not attend, while NPP Chairman Chiu Hsien-chih (邱顯智) said he would, Huang said.
The march is to begin on Ketagalan Boulevard at 3pm on Sunday and end at 5:30pm, the NPP said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as