The Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) yesterday said that it would hold a march against Chinese annexation in Kaohsiung on Saturday, the same day pro-independence group the Formosa Alliance is to hold a rally in Taipei to oppose annexation and call for a referendum on the issue.
The DPP Central Standing Committee on Sept. 19 passed a resolution barring party members from attending the alliance’s rally on Ketagalan Boulevard, citing an insufficient workforce ahead of next month’s elections.
However, it decided to send a team of representatives — including caucus whip Ker Chien-ming (柯建銘) and DPP Electoral Strategy Committee coconvener Chen Ming-wen (陳明文) — to communicate with the alliance on the issue.
Photo: AFP
The DPP is not against the alliance’s theme of opposing Chinese annexation, but with the Nov. 24 nine-in-one elections approaching, allowing DPP candidates to attend the Taipei rally could affect the momentum of party campaigns, Chen told reporters.
At the party’s meeting last month, members discussed whether to attend the rally, he said, adding that some said it should, while others opposed the idea and some voiced concern over Formosa Television highlighting the party’s absence.
The committee decided to bar all party members from attending so that responsibility would fall entirely on the party, he said.
Presidential Office Secretary-General Chen Chu (陳菊) has visited alliance convener Kuo Pei-hung (郭倍宏) — who is also chairman of Formosa TV — many times, Chen Ming-wen said, adding that he does not know whether Kuo agrees with the party’s stance on the rally.
The DPP yesterday spoke with leaders of pro-independence groups, who “basically understood” the party’s stance, which does not contravene its long-term goal of defending Taiwan’s right to self-determination, he said.
The DPP is not against protesting Chinese annexation, he added.
In addition, the responsibility to approve road-use applications lies with the Taipei City Government, DPP spokesman Cheng Yun-peng (鄭運鵬) said, responding to the alliance’s accusation that the DPP administration and city government blocked the group from receiving permission to use Ketagalan Boulevard.
The rally organizer must understand this procedure, so the accusation could only be an attempt at smearing the party, he said, demanding an apology from the group.
The city government has already explained that the group cannot not be granted use of the road because another group has already been given permission to use it that day, Cheng said.
The DPP has never opposed granting the alliance road use or intervened in its application process, he said.
While it agrees that every citizen has the right to participate in rallies and marches, the party respects the city government’s explanation, Cheng added.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A wild live dugong was found in Taiwan for the first time in 88 years, after it was accidentally caught by a fisher’s net on Tuesday in Yilan County’s Fenniaolin (粉鳥林). This is the first sighting of the species in Taiwan since 1937, having already been considered “extinct” in the country and considered as “vulnerable” by the International Union for Conservation of Nature. A fisher surnamed Chen (陳) went to Fenniaolin to collect the fish in his netting, but instead caught a 3m long, 500kg dugong. The fisher released the animal back into the wild, not realizing it was an endangered species at
The High Prosecutors’ Office yesterday withdrew an appeal against the acquittal of a former bank manager 22 years after his death, marking Taiwan’s first instance of prosecutors rendering posthumous justice to a wrongfully convicted defendant. Chu Ching-en (諸慶恩) — formerly a manager at the Taipei branch of BNP Paribas — was in 1999 accused by Weng Mao-chung (翁茂鍾), then-president of Chia Her Industrial Co, of forging a request for a fixed deposit of US$10 million by I-Hwa Industrial Co, a subsidiary of Chia Her, which was used as collateral. Chu was ruled not guilty in the first trial, but was found guilty
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy