Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) lawmakers yesterday boycotted an administrative report by Premier William Lai (賴清德) and paralyzed legislative proceedings on the first day of the new legislative session.
At about 8am — one hour before a Legislative Yuan plenary — KMT lawmakers occupied the rostrum and blocked the entrance to the legislative chamber, where Lai was to deliver his report.
KMT caucus members originally planned to bar Lai from entering the legislature compound, but the premier arrived 15 minutes before they did, KMT caucus secretary-general William Tseng (曾銘宗) said.
Photo: Liao Chen-huei, Taipei Times
The legislators accused Lai of apathy toward an incident earlier this month, when a Japanese representative of the Alliance for Truth About Comfort Women was seen in a video allegedly kicking a statue of a “comfort woman” next to the KMT’s Tainan chapter.
The statue commemorates Taiwanese victims of sexual exploitation by the Imperial Japanese army during World War II.
The lawmakers also demanded that Lai apologize for the behavior of former Transitional Justice Commission deputy chairman Chang Tien-chin (張天欽), who last month allegedly said that he wanted to use a lustration law being drafted by the commission against New Taipei City mayoral candidate and former deputy mayor Hou You-yi (侯友宜) of the KMT to turn public opinion against Hou.
Chang resigned on Wednesday last week, after the Chinese-language Mirror Media magazine published a partial transcript of a recording of an informal commission meeting held by Chang on Aug. 24.
According to the transcript, Chang said it would be a pity not to manipulate public opinion against Hou, whom Chang called the “most despicable case in transitional justice.”
The lawmakers would not let Lai enter the chamber.
They performed a voodoo-style skit, scattering effigies representing “Chang Tien-chins” in the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) administration and sweeping them away with a broom
DPP and KMT caucus officials in a separate room discussed how to break the stalemate, but their efforts proved futile.
DPP caucus whip Ker Chien-ming (柯建銘) said it was regrettable that the KMT caucus blocked the rostrum, as Lai had said he was willing to apologize for the justice commission debacle.
The negotiations broke down because the KMT’s caucus leadership was divided over how to handle the legislative session, Ker said.
The KMT is unlikely to boycott Lai’s report on the government’s response to floods on Tuesday next week, but if KMT lawmakers fail to agree on how to approach future meetings, the stalemate could continue, he said.
The KMT caucus resorts to the same obstruction tactics at the start of every legislative session, obscuring their causes, DPP caucus director-general Lee Chun-yi (李俊俋) said.
Tseng denied that the KMT caucus was divided over how to go into future meetings.
The lawmakers’ demands are clear, he said: Lai must apologize; the government must investigate whether there are more “Chang Tien-chins”; and the commission must cease operations.
Lai left the legislature at noon, declining to respond to media queries.
Legislative Speaker Su Jia-chyuan (蘇嘉全) ended the meeting at 2pm, saying further discussions on the agenda were needed.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A wild live dugong was found in Taiwan for the first time in 88 years, after it was accidentally caught by a fisher’s net on Tuesday in Yilan County’s Fenniaolin (粉鳥林). This is the first sighting of the species in Taiwan since 1937, having already been considered “extinct” in the country and considered as “vulnerable” by the International Union for Conservation of Nature. A fisher surnamed Chen (陳) went to Fenniaolin to collect the fish in his netting, but instead caught a 3m long, 500kg dugong. The fisher released the animal back into the wild, not realizing it was an endangered species at
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
The High Prosecutors’ Office yesterday withdrew an appeal against the acquittal of a former bank manager 22 years after his death, marking Taiwan’s first instance of prosecutors rendering posthumous justice to a wrongfully convicted defendant. Chu Ching-en (諸慶恩) — formerly a manager at the Taipei branch of BNP Paribas — was in 1999 accused by Weng Mao-chung (翁茂鍾), then-president of Chia Her Industrial Co, of forging a request for a fixed deposit of US$10 million by I-Hwa Industrial Co, a subsidiary of Chia Her, which was used as collateral. Chu was ruled not guilty in the first trial, but was found guilty