The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) yesterday said that the latest Cabinet reshuffle was creating an “election Cabinet,” showing that the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) is more concerned with staying in power than protecting the public’s rights.
Appointing Executive Yuan spokesman Hsu Kuo-yung (徐國勇) as Minister of the Interior shows that the DPP is solely concerned with candidates’ political correctness, rather than their capabilities, KMT Culture and Communications Committee deputy director-general Hung Meng-kai (洪孟楷) said.
Reappointing Minister of the Interior Yeh Jiunn-rong (葉俊榮) as minister of education after a month-long vacancy shows that academics were reluctant to accept the position following the DPP government’s handling of the “Kuan Chung-ming (管中閔) incident,” Hung said.
Photo: Lin Liang-sheng, Taipei Times
The government has refused to confirm Kuan as National Taiwan University (NTU) president after his election by committee on Jan. 5 and in April said it would not appoint him, as he faced allegations that he failed to report a potential conflict of interest and of possible academic misconduct, including illegally teaching at Xiamen University in China.
Yeh is also accused of illegally having taught in China, so appointing him as education minister would only cause further controversy, Hung said.
Yeh was in April accused of having broken the law by teaching at Zhejiang University’s Guanhua Law School from Dec.19, 2011, to Jan. 15, 2012, while he was a professor at NTU.
He has denied the allegations, saying that he was not paid for the lectures in China.
While the unpopularity of Minister of Transportation and Communications Hochen Tan (賀陳旦) merited his dismissal, replacing him with Taiwan International Ports Corp chairman Wu Hong-mo (吳宏謀) — who is said to be part of Presidential Office Secretary-General Chen Chu’s (陳菊) clique — is an obvious political plum, Hung said.
The politically-inspired appointments on the heel of the Legislative Yuan’s extraordinary session were made with the year-end elections in mind, but such blatant “redirection” of resources is a double-edged sword that could turn the public against the DPP, Hung said.
A Cabinet reshuffle was to be expected, as there had not been a major one since Premier William Lai (賴清德) was appointed to the position in September last year, KMT legislative caucus secretary-general William Tseng (曾銘宗) said.
However, an election-oriented Cabinet is not in the nation’s long-term interest, as elections are held every four years, he said.
Yeh’s performance as interior minister was adequate, but he is not a suitable appointment as minister of education, Tseng added.
Hsu’s appointment as Minister of the Interior was politically motivated, Tseng said, adding that Hsu’s public image has been tarnished by his attempts to obfuscate information and tendency to argue, rather than communicate, during his tenure as Executive Yuan spokesman.
New Power Party (NPP) caucus convener Hsu Yung-ming (徐永明) said he hopes that the Cabinet reshuffle was not entirely politically motivated and was somehow meant to strengthen ongoing reforms.
“We hope the new ministers will address expectations on sports reform, protection of rights for police and firefighters, renewed efforts to introduce judicial reforms and financial reforms,” Hsu said.
People First Party caucus whip Lee Hung-chun (李鴻鈞) said that the DPP should appoint individuals with the national interest in mind.
The national interest, not party interest, should be of primary concern when planning Cabinet reshuffles, Lee said.
Additional reporting by CNA
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as