The Ministry of Labor (MOL) yesterday said that President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) has kept her campaign promise about reducing work hours, adding that the labor law amendment allows more flexibility for workers and businesses.
“President Tsai Ing-wen definitely did not break her campaign promise. The amendments to the Labor Standard Act (勞動基準法) did not change the underlying principles of the previous amendments, but only added more flexibility,” Minister of Labor Lin Mei-chu (林美珠) told a news conference at the ministry in Taipei.
The amendments allow for special circumstances in which employees can work up to 12 days consecutively, with a minimum rest time of eight hours between shifts and a monthly maximum overtime of 54 hours, on the condition that workers and employers agree to the conditions.
Photo: Chen Chih-chu, Taipei Times
Certain cases of special circumstances would require approval from regulatory authorities.
“The special circumstances will definitely not become the norm,” Lin said, adding that under normal circumstances workers would still have at least one day off every seven days, and their work hours, maximum overtime and overtime pay would essentially remain the same.
The ministry said it would look into regulations and measures necessary to supplement the amendment to better protect workers’ rights and develop mechanisms to ensure that special cases that have been allowed conform with rules about special circumstances.
Photo: Liao Chen-huei, Taipei Times
It would also improve the labor inspection system, and pay special attention to state-run enterprises and sectors that deal with public safety, such as transportation and healthcare sectors, when carrying out labor inspections, the ministry said.
“Last year, the ministry carried out more than 20,000 inspections and fined employers a total of nearly NT$200 million [US$6.76 million],” Occupational Safety and Health Administration Director Tzou Tzu-lien (鄒子廉) said, adding that when the amendments take effect on March 1, the ministry will continue to carry out inspections and increase the public’s understanding of the new rules.
“We dare not say the new labor law is perfect, but we have been working hard to protect workers’ rights,” Lin said.
Labor groups yesterday ended a three-day protest outside the Legislative Yuan after vowing to depose Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) legislators who supported the amendments.
Labor groups, including the Taoyuan Confederation of Trade Unions (TCTU), Taiwan Higher Education Union, the Hsinchu County Confederation of Trade Unions and the Confederation of Taipei Trade Unions, had been protesting the amendment since Monday by marching around the Legislative Yuan.
After the amendments were passed yesterday morning, protesters marched on to the legislature from their tents on Qingdao E Road and threw joss paper at the building.
The DPP has chosen to side with capitalists because of the political donations they receive from the corporations, a protester said.
“Since the DPP loves money so much, we are giving them all our joss money,” the protester said.
Protesters blamed Tsai for breaking her campaign promise and shouted that Tsai, Premier William Lai (賴清德) and DPP legislators are “murderers” for allowing more workers to die from overwork.
They also stopped by the Executive Yuan, where they threw joss paper into the air and some scuffled with police.
Before announcing the end of their protest at about 11:30am, the groups returned to the Legislative Yuan and tried throwing joss paper and smoke bombs into the building.
Labor groups would continue fighting even though the protest has ended, TCTU secretary Wu Chia-hung (吳嘉浤) said.
“One by one, we will depose every DPP legislator who supported the amendments,” Wu said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as