The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) last week announced that it plans to classify five types of food ingredients as food allergens, which would need to be declared on packaged food labels starting in 2019.
The Regulations on Food Allergens Labeling (食品過敏原標示規定) implemented on July 1, 2015, show six types of common food allergens — shrimp, crabs, mangos, peanuts, milk, eggs and egg products — that must be declared on packaged food labels with a precautionary message.
It is to amend the regulation, adding five types of food allergens to the regulatory list and also modifying the existing six types, the agency said.
The FDA is allowing 60 days for public comment on the proposed amendment, it said.
The newly drafted regulation shows 11 types of allergens: crustaceans, mangos, peanuts, sesame and sunflower seeds, cow or goat milk, and nuts (including almonds, hazelnuts, walnuts, cashews, pecans, Brazil nuts, pistachios, macadamia nuts, pine nuts and chestnuts), the agency said.
The list also comprises grains containing gluten (including wheat, barley, rye and oats), soy beans, sulfites and sulfur dioxide residues above 10 parts per million (ppb), and fish (including salmon, mackerel, cod, Patagonian toothfish and halibut), it said.
The allergens were decided upon after having discussions with specialists and referring to regulations in other nations, FDA Food Safety Division Director Lee Wan-chen (李婉媜) said, adding that the changes aim to protect consumers from major food allergens.
The amended regulation will go into effect on July 1, 2019, and prepackaged food products that fail to declare the 11 types of allergens on food labels would face a fine of up to NT$4 million (US$133,368), she said.
People who are allergic to certain food ingredients should ensure that they read food labels carefully before purchasing food products, the agency said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as