The majority of Taiwanese have faith in the reforms initiated by President Tsai Ing-wen’s (蔡英文) administration, while nearly 60 percent are not convinced that Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) Chairman Wu Den-yih (吳敦義) can reform his party, the results of a poll conducted by the Taiwan NextGen Foundation (formerly known as the Taiwan Style Foundation) showed yesterday.
Every reform launched by the Tsai administration so far has gained the approval of a majority of respondents, the poll found. The development of long-term care services and public kindergartens garnered the highest level of approval, with 88.9 percent of respondents saying the nation would benefit from the policies.
Judicial reform ranked second in terms of popularity, with 75.3 percent of respondents saying they believe it would have a positive influence on society.
Photo: Liao Chen-huei, Taipei Times
Pension reforms targeting public-school teachers and civil servants ranked third, with 67.8 percent of respondents supporting the pension cuts, the survey showed.
The poll found that 64.7 percent of respondents supported the government’s efforts to seize ill-gotten party assets and that 60.6 percent backed its efforts to pursue transitional justice.
According to the survey, 57.2 percent of respondents supported the government’s decision to increase the minimum hourly wage from NT$133 to NT$140, while 37 percent said they were displeased with it.
Opinions were the most divided on the introduction of the five-day workweek, with 50.6 percent of respondents saying that society has benefited from it and 39.2 percent saying the opposite.
The poll found that 87.4 percent of respondents thought it was inappropriate for opponents of pension reform to obstruct the foreign athletes participating at the Taipei Summer Universiade from attending the event’s opening ceremony on Aug. 19.
Asked about the Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office’s renewed investigations into the KMT’s sales of the Broadcasting Corp of China, China Television and Central Motion Picture Co, 46.5 percent of respondents said they believed illegalities were involved in the sales; 30.4 percent said they lacked general knowledge of the incidents; and 17 percent said the sales were likely legal.
Asked about their opinions on Wu, 59.7 percent of respondents said they did not think he would transform the KMT into a “localized” party, while 59.1 percent said they were not convinced that Wu can reform the party.
As for the KMT’s new platform, which was introduced last month, the survey showed that 41.9 percent of respondents said they were in favor of Wu replacing former KMT chairwoman Hung Hsiu-chu’s (洪秀柱) wording of “cementing” the so-called “1992 consensus” with “one China, different interpretations,” while 34.9 percent said they were against it.
The “1992 consensus” refers to a tacit understanding between the KMT and Beijing that both sides of the Taiwan Strait acknowledge there is “one China,” with each side having its own interpretation of what “China” means. Former Mainland Affairs Council chairman Su Chi (蘇起) in 2006 said he made up the term in 2000.
Citing past surveys, Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) Legislator Wang Ding-yu (王定宇) said that most people who supported localization opposed the “consensus,” adding that the 41.9 percent who backed Wu’s version of the “consensus” in the latest survey most likely overlapped with the 59.7 percent who did not believe Wu would localize the KMT.
That could indicate that the number of respondents who said they supported Wu’s “consensus” had been inflated, because only 59.7 percent acknowledged the “consensus” to begin with, he said.
Even with 30.4 percent of respondents who lacked knowledge of the KMT’s sales of the formerly state-run enterprises, the number of respondents who supported reinvestigating the sales was roughly equal to the number who said the deals were illegal and those who admitted ignorance combined, he added.
This shows people generally had a sense of distrust toward the now-defunct Special Investigations Division and that disbanding the agency was the right move, Wang said.
The survey, conducted on Thursday and Friday last week among Taiwanese aged 20 or above, collected 1,075 valid samples and has a margin of error of 2.99 percentage points.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as