The Taipei Shilin District Prosecutors’ Office yesterday charged a 65-year-old man surnamed Ko (柯) with embezzlement of lost property over money that he found on a hill in Taipei’s Neihu District (內湖), which was part of a NT$83 million (US$2.59 million at current exchange rates) theft from First Commercial Bank ATMs by an international criminal ring.
Ko claimed that he had accidentally stumbled upon a bag containing NT$4.54 million in cash on a hill in Xihu Park on July 20 and later reported his find to police.
According to a Chinese-language media report, key evidence for the prosecution is that Ko allegedly returned to the hill with the apparent intention of taking home another bag in a nearby trash pile, which was allegedly hidden by a Lativian man, Andrejs Peregudovs, the key suspect in the ATM heist who was arrested on July 17 in Yilan County.
Photo: CNA
Judicial investigators took Peregudovs to the hill to reconstruct his route so that they could recover the money.
They only found one bag containing NT$12.63 million.
Peregudovs said another bag was missing.
As Ko was acting suspiciously, a passerby took a photograph of him on the hill, which later started circulating on the news, with investigators seeking to identify the man in the picture.
In yesterday’s indictment, Shilin prosecutors said that as it took 16 hours for Ko to report his find to the police, during that time there had been extensive news coverage of the Latvian suspect’s retrieval of the stolen money and the other missing bag, and Ko would have become aware that the money he had found was part of the heist.
Although Ko did go the police of his own volition and hand in the money, prosecutors charged Ko with embezzlement, because he had violated the law by keeping money connected with a criminal case.
The investigation took many months, as there had been some speculation that Ko had been working for the gang involved in the heist to recover the money.
However, judicial investigators said that they ruled out that possibility after going through Ko’s communication records and other evidence.
The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office in September charged the three foreign suspects — Peregudovs, a Romanian man named Mihail Colibaba, and a Moldovan man named Niklae Penkov — with fraud and offenses against computer security, and is seeking 12-year jail terms for the three.
During a trial hearing earlier this month, Peregudovs again apologized to Taiwanese for his involvement in the case, claiming that he was only a money collector acting under instructions and asking for permission to communicate with his family in Latvia.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as