The Environmental Protection Administration (EPA) on Wednesday said it is mulling a revision to the Air Pollution Control Act (空氣污染防制法) to ban two-stroke vehicles by 2020, EPA Minister Lee Ying-yuan (李應元) said during a Taipei news conference held to encourage the public not to burn incense and ghost money ahead of Ghost Festival to reduce air pollution.
The EPA is to stop providing cash incentives for owners who replace their two-stroke scooters with less polluting vehicles in 2019, and the EPA is assessing the possibility of enacting a complete ban on two-stroke vehicles after the subsidy program ends, Lee said.
Lee said a road space rationing policy is in place in Beijing, while gasoline-powered scooters are banned in Xiamen.
“Taiwan is a democratic country, and phasing out two-stroke vehicles will be a gradual process. Legislation cannot be implemented before the public has a common view on the issue,” he said.
The production of two-stroke vehicles ended in 2004 because they could not meet emissions standards, but there are still 1.8 million two-stroke scooters in use in the nation, EPA Department of Air Quality and Noise Control Director Chen Hsien-heng (陳咸亨) said.
“Two-stroke scooters are on average 17 to 18 years old, and they produce much more pollutants than four-stroke vehicles. That is why the EPA and local governments have considered limiting the use of two-stroke vehicles,” Chen said.
Local governments have proposed air pollution reduction programs, including establishing “clean zones” in which high-pollution vehicles would be banned.
The Tainan City Government is planning to make all of Tainan off-limits to two-stroke scooters by 2019, following an announcement by the Kaohsiung City Government last year said that it would ban two-stroke vehicles by 2020.
Although the EPA has not yet decided to implement a full ban on two-stroke scooters, it respects the authority of local governments to make such decisions, Chen said.
The EPA’s statement came after a protest by vintage car collectors in Tainan on Tuesday.
Protesters gathered in front of the Tainan Environmental Protection Bureau buildings with dozens of vintage cars and scooters to protest against the proposed ban.
Protesters said that two-stroke scooters were unfairly singled out, because pollution produced by the nation’s scooters as a whole is less than the pollution caused by diesel trucks, buses, cars or four-stroke scooters according to the EPA data, although two-stroke engines produce more pollution per vehicle.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A wild live dugong was found in Taiwan for the first time in 88 years, after it was accidentally caught by a fisher’s net on Tuesday in Yilan County’s Fenniaolin (粉鳥林). This is the first sighting of the species in Taiwan since 1937, having already been considered “extinct” in the country and considered as “vulnerable” by the International Union for Conservation of Nature. A fisher surnamed Chen (陳) went to Fenniaolin to collect the fish in his netting, but instead caught a 3m long, 500kg dugong. The fisher released the animal back into the wild, not realizing it was an endangered species at
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
The High Prosecutors’ Office yesterday withdrew an appeal against the acquittal of a former bank manager 22 years after his death, marking Taiwan’s first instance of prosecutors rendering posthumous justice to a wrongfully convicted defendant. Chu Ching-en (諸慶恩) — formerly a manager at the Taipei branch of BNP Paribas — was in 1999 accused by Weng Mao-chung (翁茂鍾), then-president of Chia Her Industrial Co, of forging a request for a fixed deposit of US$10 million by I-Hwa Industrial Co, a subsidiary of Chia Her, which was used as collateral. Chu was ruled not guilty in the first trial, but was found guilty