Entertainers with pro-Taiwanese independence “thoughts” should be “ashamed” to work in China, actress Lily Tien (田麗) told the Chinese-language Apple Daily yesterday, refusing to back down from social media posts that accused model and actress Lin Chi-ling (林志玲) of being a supporter of Taiwanese independence.
On Monday, Tien shared an article titled “Pro-Independence Lin Chi-ling is the Real Problem” on Chinese social media, following controversy over a purported pro-independence stance by Taiwanese actor Leon Dai (戴立忍).
Tien said Lin should clarify whether she supports Taiwanese independence, adding that the media should “go ask her” for answers.
“It is a matter of fact that [Lin] cannot deny her relatives are supporters of the Democratic Progressive Party... If you really harbor such thoughts, do not come here. You should be ashamed to make money in neidi,” Tien said.
Neidi (內地), which means “the interior” in Mandarin, has been used by Chinese and China-based Taiwanese artists to refer to China.
Tien said she did not feel sympathy for Dai, who early last month was the subject of a public furor in China, despite saying on two occasions that he does not support Taiwanese independence
“You cannot criticize the people of neidi and take jobs here,” Tien said.
Tien said that she is “a Taiwanese entertainer, but not pro-Taiwanese independence” and that she “highly supports” the so-called “declaration of anti-splittism,” a document rumored to be in the works in Beijing that Taiwanese entertainers would be required to sign before working in China, because “Taiwan and neidi should coexist peacefully, and Taiwan should not provoke anything.”
Tien, 49, received the Golden Bell Award for best actress in 2002 and is the ex-wife of People First Party Chairman James Soong’s (宋楚瑜) brother-in-law.
In recent years, Tien’s career has mostly been based in China and she is now married to a Chinese actor.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as