A Kenyan court has once again postponed issuing a verdict on five Taiwanese fraud suspects who risk being deported to China, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said yesterday.
Department of West Asian and African Affairs Director-General Chen Chun-shen (陳俊賢) said the court put off a session scheduled to be held yesterday until July 26.
It is the second time the session has been postponed. It was originally due to take place on June 6.
“To safeguard the dignity of our national sovereignty, we will continue our efforts [to prevent the deportation of the Taiwanese to China]. It is our unshakable responsibility,” Chen said.
The five Taiwanese are among a group of 77 fraud suspects — 48 Chinese, 28 Taiwanese and one Thai — detained by Kenyan police in November 2014 and charged with engaging in unlicensed telecommunications activities, using radio equipment without a license and organized crime.
Twenty-three of the Taiwanese were deported to Beijing following their acquittal by a court on April 5.
Twenty-two Taiwanese arrested in Kenya in March and 32 Taiwanese arrested in Malaysia in April, all on similar charges, were also deported to China.
At a news conference in Taipei earlier yesterday, Chen said concrete achievements have been made since Representative to South Africa John Chen (陳忠) and a secretary from the Ministry of Justice arrived in Kenya on Thursday last week to present the government’s case.
“During this period, many international news outlets, including the BBC, have reported on the case. I believe such wide media coverage has put pressure on the Kenyan government,” Chen said.
However, Chen said Beijing has also made an all-out effort to ensure the deportation of the five Taiwanese to China.
He said the ministry is fighting to protect universal human rights, including the right to a defense.
Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokeswoman Eleanor Wang (王珮玲) said in a news release issued later yesterday that the ministry and the Taipei Liaison Office in the Republic of South Africa would continue to closely monitor the case.
“We will spare no effort in securing the return of the five Taiwanese to Taiwan and subject their alleged wrongdoings to due legal process,” Wang said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Taiwan People’s Party (TPP) Chairman Huang Kuo-chang (黃國昌) yesterday appealed to the authorities to release former Taipei mayor Ko Wen-je (柯文哲) from pretrial detention amid conflicting reports about his health. The TPP at a news conference on Thursday said that Ko should be released to a hospital for treatment, adding that he has blood in his urine and had spells of pain and nausea followed by vomiting over the past three months. Hsieh Yen-yau (謝炎堯), a retired professor of internal medicine and Ko’s former teacher, said that Ko’s symptoms aligned with gallstones, kidney inflammation and potentially dangerous heart conditions. Ko, charged with