President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) on Wednesday said that if the two sides of the Taiwan Strait can work to accumulate goodwill, it would help improve cross-strait ties and create harmony in the relationship.
In response to reporters’ questions on the China Airlines (CAL) charter flight that flew her to Panama over Cuban airspace several days ago, Tsai said that in line with precedent, the airline filed an application for the route and the request was approved by the relevant authorities.
“According to my understanding, it was a move in accordance with precedent. It is not clear to me if China was involved in the case,” Tsai said, when asked if the move indicated goodwill on the part of China, since Havana is close to Beijing, and whether it could be considered a breakthrough in cross-strait relations.
Photo: AP
However, “if China did play a role, that could be seen as a kind of goodwill,” said Tsai, speaking from Paraguay on the second and final leg of her first overseas trip since taking office on May 20.
If both sides of the Strait can make efforts to accumulate goodwill, it would be helpful in dealing with cross-strait relations and in creating harmony in bilateral ties, she said in a meeting with Taiwanese reporters traveling with her.
Tsai said she had “demonstrated our maximum goodwill and flexibility” in her May 20 inaugural address, expressing her hope that China can read it more thoroughly and be more flexible in its thinking.
This would allow both sides of the Strait to achieve progress in their relations and maintain stability, which would be “best for everyone,” the president added.
In her inaugural address, Tsai said she respects the historical fact of various joint acknowledgments and understandings reached in talks between the two sides since 1992, but did not specifically mention the so-called “1992 consensus.”
The “1992 consensus” — a term former Mainland Affairs Council chairman Su Chi (蘇起) admitted that he made up in 2000 — refers to a tacit understanding between the Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) and the Chinese government that both sides acknowledge there is “one China,” with each side having its own interpretation of what “China” means.
Tsai also said that a resumption of communication between the Straits Exchange Foundation and its Chinese counterpart, the Association for Relations Across the Taiwan Straits, is an important element in maintaining the stability of cross-strait relations.
“It is a common responsibility of everyone to maintain peace and stability between the two sides of the Taiwan Strait. Not only we and mainland China need to take the main responsibility, but I hope that all parties in the region that have invested interest in cross-strait peace can offer help and make their maximum efforts,” she said.
She said the time has not yet come to consider the appointment of a new chairman of the foundation, despite recent discussions that have linked KMT Legislator Wang Jin-pyng (王金平) and People First Party Chairman James Soong (宋楚瑜) to the post.
Vice Minister of Science and Technology Chen Ter-shing (陳德新) was named as acting chairman of the foundation in mid-May before Tsai took office, and has held the post since then.
Earlier this week, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs confirmed that the flight carrying Tsai and her entourage flew over Cuba on the way to Panama.
Tsai’s flight to Panama City from Miami, Florida, on Saturday last week was the first time that a presidential flight of the Republic of China had flown through Cuban airspace, Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs Wu Chih-chung (吳志中) said.
It is usual international practice for two countries to mutually allow flights over their airspaces.
The ministry had authorized CAL, which planned the flight routes of Tsai’s overseas tour, to negotiate with Cuba, Wu said, adding that the ministry did not intervene in the matter.
Tsai was to depart Paraguay yesterday for Los Angeles, where she was to stay overnight before heading home today. She is due to arrive tomorrow.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as